South Cambridgeshire Logo
My South Cambs:
Sign in or register
2 Tenant Outside Home Cropped

Sheltered Housing

Sheltered Housing

Sheltered housing, also known as independent living, provides housing for elderly residents who want to live an independent life safely in their own home. 

We manage sheltered housing schemes throughout South Cambridgeshire for council tenants and some leaseholders.

Apply for sheltered housing through Home-Link

You can apply if:

  • you are over 60 years old - for joint applications, at least one of the applicants must be aged 60 or over
  • you have a physical or other disability and may have a particular need for sheltered housing.

You will need to have an eligibility assessment for sheltered housing and a home visit by the sheltered estate service will take place. 

If your application is not successful you can request a review of the decision, which will be undertaken by the Community Impact Team Leader.

Sheltered housing guide for tenants

Our care, support and housing services will work with other local housing and health care providers to find suitable accommodation.

Each scheme is made up of bungalows or flats. A Sheltered Estate Officer is on duty to provide extra support.

We also offer a visiting support service to residents over the age of 65. This is a short-term support service providing confidential, emotional, financial and practical support. 

Rent and charges

Find ways to pay rent and other support available

Your property's weekly cost is made up of: 

  • rent: this cost will depend on the size of your flat or bungalow
  • service charge: this covers the cost of the shared services in your scheme including:
    • staffing cost
    • lifts
    • door-entry systems
    • shared lighting
    • heating
    • communal facilities, for example laundry and grounds maintenance
  • monitoring center: this covers the cost of operating the 24-hour alarm service response in the communal building.

Keeping your home safe

All properties are fitted with key safes, door chains and Lifeline alarms.

Key safes are to store your front door key in. We will only use the key safe to access your home in an emergency, or when you have clearly agreed this.

We provide a 24/7 helpline alarm call service for all sheltered residents that have opted to have a Lifeline fitted in their home. When the alarm is set off, a call will be made to the monitoring centre.

If you add a new lock to your front door and the door is damaged when getting access during an emergency, you may have to pay for the repair.

If you are concerned about your security, please speak to your Sheltered Estate Officer.


Many of our schemes have facilities that are available for all sheltered housing residents including: 

  • a communal lounge which can be used for coffee mornings and bingo
  • a communal notice board - please contact your Sheltered Estate Officer if you would like to add anything to your notice board
  • regular social activities
  • rooms for guests in the following villages: 
    • Stapleford
    • Great Shelford
    • Whittlesford
  • hiring communal buildings for external use. The revenue that is taken from a hire charge will be offset against your service charges.

Sheltered Estate Officers

Sheltered housing schemes are managed by the Sheltered Estate Officers, who: 

  • carry out regular safety checks and risk assessments 
  • manage communal buildings 
  • make monthly visits to residents' homes to test alarms, pendants and smoke detectors and to update any changes in residents' circumstances 
  • work with tenants to promote use of communal rooms to organise activities, including outings.

Residents who have concerns about the scheme can contact their Sheltered Estate Officer, and will be given their mobile number. 

Sheltered Estate Officers are not available 24/7, nor do they provide nursing or personal care, but they can help signpost you to such services. 

Location of sheltered schemes 

We have sheltered housing schemes in the villages listed below:

  • Arrington 
  • Balsham 
  • Bassingbourn 
  • Barton 
  • Bourn 
  • Comberton 
  • Cottenham 
  • Duxford 
  • Fulbourn 
  • Gamlingay 
  • Girton 
  • Grantchester 
  • Harston 
  • Haslingfield 
  • Histon 
  • Impington 
  • Linton 
  • Longstanton 
  • Melbourn 
  • Meldreth 
  • Orwell 
  • Over 
  • Papworth Everard 
  • Sawston 
  • Great Shelford 
  • Stapleford 
  • Swavesey 
  • Waterbeach 
  • Whittlesford 
  • Willingham  

Specially adapted properties 

We have some specially adapted properties for households, including those with a physical or learning disability.  

Adapted properties which are empty are always offered first to households that includes a person with a disability. 

If you’re a council tenant and have problems moving around your home, then we can put in place adaptations to help adjust your home to your needs. 

If you’re a home owner, theCambridgeshire Home Improvement Agency (CHIA) can help you put into place aids and adaptations to improve your home.  

Contact Details