South Cambridgeshire Logo
My South Cambs:
Sign in or register
Black icon - House key

Right to Buy

Right to Buy

Buying your council home

We offer a Right to Buy scheme for tenants who wish to buy their council home. You can apply if:

  • you have been a tenant of a council home for at least 3 years
  • you want to apply with members of your family who have lived with you for the past 12 months, or with a joint tenant

If your tenancy has been with a different council that time may count towards your qualifying time.

You may not be eligible to apply for this scheme if: 

  • a court makes a possession order against you, which says that you must leave your home
  • you are in sheltered housing, or other homes for the elderly
  • your home is used for temporary use
  • your home is let in connection with your employment, for example a caretaker's house.

A woman being given financial advice

How to apply

To apply to buy your home you will need to fill out the "RTB1" application form. To request this, please email and we will provide you with all the information you need.

You will need to print the form, sign it in all sections it asks you to, and take it, or send it by recorded delivery, to our office address below: 

Right to Buy
South Cambridgeshire Hall
Cambourne Business Park
Cambourne, Cambridge
CB23 6EA

Next steps

Once we have received your application, we will send you either an RTB2 Admittance or Denial notice within 4 weeks (or 8 weeks if you have previously been a tenant of another landlord) of us receiving your application.

If you are buying a home please consider:

  • finding a suitable mortgage 
  • survey fees
  • stamp duty
  • valuation fees
  • land registry

Selling your home

There are certain conditions to selling your home after you have bought it through the Right to Buy scheme. Visit the Government website to find more information on selling your home.

Related Information

Contact Details