South Cambridgeshire Logo
My South Cambs:
Sign in or register
Black icon - House money

Disabled adaptations and home improvement grants

Home Improvement Grants could be available to you through the Cambridge Home Improvement Agency, if you live in South Cambridgeshire.

The Cambridge Home Improvement Agency is a shared service that covers South Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire and Cambridge City Councils. Our Annual Report for 2019 to 2020 explains what we do and who benefits from our service, including information about our funding and plans.

How do I apply?

Apply online for a home improvement grant

If you are disabled or suffering from a medical condition which requires special housing needs, the Cambridgeshire Home Improvement Agency may be able to help you. 

To be eligible, you must either:

  • own your own home 
  • live in a housing association property 
  • be a private tenant. 

Disabled facilities grants are designed to help people live independently in their homes.

Types of Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG)

  • to provide small adaptations such as ramps and door widening
  • to provide or improve access to the: bedroom, kitchen, toilet, washbasin, and bath or shower facilities
  • to enable the disabled occupier to use and control power, light and heat, for example, by altering the position of light switches and power sockets
  • to enable the disabled occupier to prepare and cook food by providing low level kitchen units
  • to ensure the safety of the disabled person and other occupants. For example, by improving lighting to ensure better visibility, or to make access easier to the living room

If you require minor adaptations that will cost under £1,000, such as hand rails or grab rails, please contact Occupational Therapy on 01954 713 000.

  • We will require the disabled person to be assessed by an occupational therapist from the NHS Primary Care Trust (PCT), as approved by Social Services.

To request a home improvements grant assessment, contact us on 01954 713 000.

  • an occupational therapist will assess your needs and if appropriate, refer you to the Home Improvement Agency.
  • once we have received your recommendation, a caseworker will visit you to assess if you are eligible for a grant and start the grant application procedure for you.
  • the caseworker will carry out a means test to see if you need to make a contribution towards the cost of the works.
  • once you agree to proceed, a surveyor may visit you to draw up plans for the proposed works or adaptations.
  • when all the necessary documents are received, your application will be submitted for approval.
  • once approval is given, a start date will be arranged with the contractor and the works will begin.
  • the works will be monitored by the agency through to completion.
  • the agency will work with us regarding all payments to contractors and manufacturers.
  • work will be carried out under the Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996, as amended by the Regulatory Reform Order 2002.

Home repairs assistance grants may be available if you are:

  • a homeowner or a private tenant
  • and have occupied your home for at least 2 years 

If you have moved in more recently, we may be able to disregard this requirement in certain circumstances. 

You will also need to be in receipt of one of the following benefits:

  • Income support
  • Housing benefit
  • Working tax credit
  • Council tax benefit
  • Disabled person's tax credit
  • Job seeker's allowance
  • Child tax credit
  • Pension credit
  • Universal Credit

If you have a low income you could be assessed to see if you qualify for one of these benefits. 

Advice is also available on housing grants including help with the application forms.

The following works may be carried out under the grant scheme:

  • Electrical repairs
  • Hot water and heating systems
  • Rainwater goods and roof overhaul
  • Windows, bathroom and kitchen replacement
  • Dampness problems
  • Other minor repairs

Contact Details