Neighbourhood issues and anti-social behaviour

Neighbourhood issues and anti-social behaviour

Unfortunately it's possible that any of our residents could experience neighbourhood issues and anti-social behaviour in their area.

These issues can be in the form of:

  • Abuse
  • anti-social behaviour
  • parking problems and disputes
  • fences and boundaries
  • condition of property and garden
  • noise
  • vandalism

Find out below how you can report a neighbourhood issue or anti-social behaviour to us.

Also, you can visit our anti-social behaviour web page for more information.

The Housing Services team can only deal with complaints from council tenants.

If the complaint is regarding a non-council tenant this must be referred to our Environmental Health team. 

If, however, the abuse is of a threatening nature you should contact the Police in the first instance.

Anti-social behaviour is anything that interferes with the peace, comfort and convenience of other people. 


We provide a service, which will inform council tenants of the boundaries for their property.

This information may be useful in terms of boundary disputes or if the tenant wishes to erect boundary fencing (if they have Landlords permission).

How can I get my boundaries confirmed?

You must contact us or write to housing services:

Housing Services
South Cambridgeshire District Council
South Cambridgeshire Hall
Cambourne Business Park
Cambridge CB23 6EA

Important information to include:

  • Your name
  • Your address
  • Details of the boundary
  • Details of third party if boundary is in dispute

What happens next?

In instances where the boundaries are in dispute, and the adjoining land is privately owned, housing services will contact the property Surveyor/Lands Officer who may visit to measure and mark the boundaries.

Where both parties are Council tenants, the Housing Services Officer will determine the position of the boundary (with advice from the Property Surveyor / Lands Officer if necessary).

For more information you can contact Land Registry.

A parking dispute covers any debates or disagreements regarding parking of vehicles such as cars, vans, caravans, horse boxes etc on Council land.

Conditions for parking a vehicle in and around a Council property:

  • You and your visitors must not park a vehicle anywhere on your property except on a "hardstanding" (a driveway or paved area intended for parking).
  • You and your visitors must not park any vehicle on any grassed area around your home or on any communal grass area.
  • You and your visitors must not park lorries, coaches, HGV's, commercial vehicles, plant or vans over 25 cwt, caravan or motor home on the garden, driveway, paved or grassed area around your home or on any communal parking areas without the Council's agreement in writing.
  • You and your visitors must not park anywhere that would obstruct emergency services.
  • You must not do car repairs or park an illegal, unroadworthy or untaxed vehicle on the land around your home or on the road.
  • You must not make a hardstanding or create vehicular access without the Council's written permission. It is possible in some cases for a driveway and dropped kerb to be installed at a council property. In order for this work to be completed your rent account must be clear of arrears. You will need to write to your Housing Services Officer and request landlord's permission, showing the location and layout of the driveway/hardstanding. We will then send you a schedule of conditions and a completion card.
    You may also be required to obtain Planning Permission.
  • You must not abandon any vehicle on Council property.

How do I make a complaint regarding a parking issue?

You must contact us or write to Housing Services (address above) with your concerns.

Important information to include:

  • Your name
  • Your address
  • Location of dispute
  • Details of other party if known
  • Log of events.

What happens next?

The Housing Services team will reply within 14 days of receipt of your letter. They will investigate your complaint and inform you of the outcome. If you experience further problems it is important to contact us immediately.

The Housing Services team can only deal with complaints from council tenants.

If the complaint is regarding a non-council tenant this must be referred to the Environmental Health team. 

The Housing Services team can only deal with complaints from council tenants.

If the complaint is regarding a non-council tenant this must be referred to the Environmental Health team. 

Local Authorities have the power to take action against statutory noise nuisances.

It is important to understand that not all noises that cause annoyance will constitute a statutory nuisance, and in addition some types of noise are not covered by the act.

The following types of noise can be dealt with:

  • Noise from premises (any type, any source)
  • Noise from amplified music in the street (car stereos, 'ghetto blasters')
  • Noise from car alarms
  • Noise from machinery or equipment in the street

The following are not actionable:

  • Noise from shouting and brawling occurring in the street
  • Noise from motor vehicles (except in those cases indicated above)
  • Noise from the playing of games in the street or public open space.

Where the department cannot take action, we will do our best to advise you of other organisations (for example, mediation service, Environmental Health Department, Citizens Advice Bureau or Police), which may be able to assist you.

The Housing Services team can only deal with complaints from council tenants.

If the complaint is regarding a non-council tenant this must be reported to the Environmental Health team. 

Q. I have noticed graffiti on walls of communal areas, what do I have to do?

A. Inform the Housing Department, making sure to state the location of the graffiti and / or parties involved if known.

Q. Someone has purposely damaged my property, what should I do?

A. You must first inform the police and get an incident number. If you know who carried out the damage and they are a council tenant, you can inform the Housing Department.

Q. Local children are playing football and damaging trees etc. on the green, what do I do?

A. You should call the police and report the incident.

Q. Is it my responsibility to maintain my garden?

A. You must keep your garden tidy by cutting the lawn and trimming the hedges. If the garden is overgrown - and there is no good reason why you cannot maintain it - the Council can clear it and charge you for the work.

Q. If I make a complaint can I remain anonymous?

A. Yes, if requested and where appropriate.

Q. I am a private landowner. Who can help define our boundaries?

A. For questions relating to private land ownership, you should contact the Land Registry.

Q. Can I fix anything (i.e. washing line, bird box, trellis) to a neighbouring boundary fence?

A. You may only attach items to a fence that is your own. If your neighbour owns the fence you must gain their permission first. If you are in doubt who owns the fence you can request advice from the Property Surveyor/Lands Officer.



Was this web page helpful?