South Cambridgeshire Logo
My South Cambs:
Sign in or register
White icon - Council Tax

How to appeal a Council Tax bill or decision

On this page you can: 

If you think you shouldn't have to pay the council tax for the property you've been billed for, or think a discount or exemption should be applied, you can contact us to appeal the decision.

Or you can write to:

The Revenues Department
South Cambridgeshire District Council
South Cambridgeshire Hall
CB23 6EA

Provide detailed reasons for your appeal.

After you submit your appeal, we have up to 2 months to contact you with a decision. If you're still unhappy after we reply with our decision (or if we don’t respond within 2 months), you can then appeal to the Valuation Tribunal. You will need to do this within 2 months after receiving our decision (or if we haven’t responded).

If you wish for someone to be able to discuss your Council Tax account with us on your behalf, complete our permission to share form.

Appealing your Council Tax band

Appeal your Council Tax band through the Valuation Office Agency.

Request a refund

You can use this form to:

  • transfer a credit to another council tax account,
  • have credit refunded to your bank account

Request a Council Tax refund


If you owe money on any other accounts, we can reduce or clear those charges. Any remaining credit due will be refunded.

Freeman on the Land

The Freeman on the Land movement and similar groups, commonly believe that they are bound only by statute laws they consent to.

Being a ‘freeman’ does not exempt any person from paying Council Tax.

The liability to pay Council Tax falls under the Local Government Finance Act 1992 and later regulations. This is set by The Council Tax Administration and Enforcement Regulations 1992 and gives local authorities the right to demand Council Tax which is used to fund essential local services.

Council Tax is not optional and not something you consent to. If you are liable to pay Council Tax, you must make your payments. Any reference to a person not having consented or there being a contractual relationship between the Council has no legal basis.

Contact Details