About your tenancy

As your landlord, we deal with all aspects of your tenancy. Below is a summary guide of important information regarding your tenancy.

Tenant Handbook

The Tenants' Handbook covers all aspects of your tenancy including, paying your rent, repairs, problems with your tenancy or neighbours, our services and much more. 

Tenancy Agreement

Before you move into your new home, you will be asked to sign a tenancy agreement, this is your contract with us and it explains what our responsibilities are and what yours are. 

We have tried to make the agreement easy to follow, but like many legal documents, some parts may be harder to understand. 

Please talk to a Housing Services Officer if you are unsure about anything.

Access a copy of the current Tenancy Agreement.

Changes to your tenancy

At some point you may need to make a change to your tenancy. 

All requests need to be made in writing, you can do this by:

Completing our contact us form or;

You can send a letter address to Housing services, South Cambridgeshire Hall, Cambourne Business Park, Cambourne, Cambridge, CB23 6EA.

Examples of changes can include:

  • Removal of a joint tenant due to divorce, break up or death
  • Addition of a tenant due to marriage or living with a partner for more than 12 months
  • Change of name
  • Permission to have a lodger
  • Permission to have pets at the property
  • Ending of tenancy


We would like tenants to have a home that best suits their needs. So, if your circumstances change (for example if your family becomes bigger or smaller), then you can ask to move into a different property. We will do what we can to help.

There are always more people who want to live in our properties than vacancies and we have to balance the needs of tenants who want to move with those who are waiting for a home.

Homes are allocated under the choice based lettings system called Home-Link.

Leaving your home

Please give your housing services officer at least four weeks’ notice of your intention to move out of your home.

You can do this by filing in our notice form.

Before you leave you must make sure that:

  • gas and electrical supplies are safe and turned off
  • you have taken readings from all meters
  • you have informed all suppliers (gas, electricity, water, phone)
  • you have told the council tax office and, if you receive any benefits, the housing benefit office
  • your rent is paid up to date
  • all of your belongings have been removed
  • the property is in a good state of repair
  • the property is clean
  • you have locked all windows and external doors and have two keys for each door lock
  • you must hand your keys into our main office at Cambourne. If you are unable to do this you must contact your housing services officer

If you do not have the correct number of keys and/or if your home is not left in a reasonable condition then you will be liable for charges.

All rubbish must be removed as we will recharge for the disposal of it and any other items left in the property, garden or sheds.


As part of our ongoing commitment to our tenants and leaseholders, we will be carrying out tenancy visits on all of our properties. 

This will involve visiting you in your home to discuss aspects of your household, tenancy and to carry out an inspection of where you live.

Why do we carry out these visits?

By doing this, it will mean that we will have a much better understanding of your needs and this will help us to shape your service in future, ensuring that we continue to work in your best interests. 

The ways in which we are hoping to do this includes:

  • To identify the needs of our residents in order to develop and deliver services
  • to ensure communication methods and messages maximise response, service take up and awareness

We have over 5,000 properties and, as you can imagine, it is going to take some time to get round to everyone. 

For this reason, we are developing a programme that will organise these visits into a village by village schedule. 

Whilst we won't be able to contact everyone to book a specific appointment, we will write to you prior to the time our staff are due to visit your village. 

However, we appreciate that you may not be at home when we visit and we will put a card through your door so you can contact us to make a suitable appointment.

Please note, we would like to see 2 forms of identification:

  • One of which should have a photograph such as a drivers licence or passport
  • the other should be proof of residence such as a utility bill
  • if you do not have any photographic identification, we will with your permission take a photograph of you at the visit. 
  • we will require your National Insurance number which would assist us in our duty to help prevent housing fraud this ensures our homes are being used for those in need of social housing. 

The data will not be shared with 3rd parties for commercial purposes, but may be shared with other public sector partners or suppliers for the effective delivery of Council services, and in certain other circumstances (such as to prevent or detect crime including fraud) as permitted by the Data Protection Act 1998.

The data will be kept in line with the Council’s data retention policy, and kept securely at all times. For more information about how the Council processes personal data please see the Privacy Policy on the Council website.

Please be assured this is not something to be worried or concerned about. We are doing this to improve things for you and the best way we can do this is to come and speak to you face to face. We are passionate about the service we provide and your needs and views are very important to us.

Council Officers from the Neighbourhood Services Team and the Sheltered Housing Team will carry out the visits and we estimate that the visit should last no more than half an hour at most. All of our Officers will carry identification and will show it to you before entering your home.

Sample Questionnaire 2017-2018.

If you're a tenant or leaseholder of ours, you can report any non-urgent grounds maintenance issues to us that are noticed within your communities.

You can report it online by completing our grounds maintenance reporting form.

Please include as much information as you can and there is the option to add photographs to help us identify the area.

It is your responsibility to make sure your garden is tidy and in a reasonable condition. 

You must NOT use it to store rubbish or unwanted items of furniture.


You may install a television aerial to your home, provided that you request our permission in advance and do not damage the structure of the property. 

You must not drill through window frames or doors. 

If you want to erect a satellite dish you must also get permission from us in advance. 

In certain circumstances you may also need planning permission.

The work must be carried out by an approved contractor and, if you leave the property, you must remove the dish and restore the property to its original condition.


To find out the current electricity supplier for this property, please telephone 0845 601 4516 and quote your postcode. 

To find out the current gas supplier for this property, please telephone 0870 608 1524 and quote your postcode. 

The telephone number for Cambridge Water Company is 0800 3167 676. The telephone number for Anglian Water is 0800 3167 676.


Was this web page helpful?