Going the Extra Mile
GEM Awards - staff recognition scheme
The Going the Extra Mile (GEM) awards recognise outstanding achievement for effort above and beyond normal job responsibilities by employees and teams who have made a significant positive difference to their customers. The emphasis of the recognition scheme is on customer service and service improvement and includes both external and internal customers of the Council.
The scheme promotes and supports a culture where new ideas are shared and good practice and innovation is encouraged in line with the Council's values of customer service, mutual respect, commitment to improving services and trust.
We host two award ceremonies a year, one in May to celebrate everyone nominated for the Spring GEM awards, and one in September, to celebrate everyone nominated for the Autumn GEM awards. You can nominate colleagues at any time of year, and your nomination will automatically be considered as part of the next judging panel.
All categories are open to either an individual employee or a group of employees, whether they have worked together on a one-off project, are a small team, or are an entire department.
- Stand out performer(s). A standout performer is someone who goes above and beyond in the quality of the work they produce on an ongoing basis, or for their work on a one-off stand-out project or event.
- Innovator or problem solver(s). This is for an employee or team which has proactively come up with a new idea, or a solution to a problem, to improve outcomes either for colleagues or customers.
- Unsung hero(es). For those individuals or teams whose work doesn’t often make the headlines but is no less vital.
- Pillar(s) of support. For colleagues who provide excellent support, reassurance, light relief, mentoring or other guidance to colleagues.
- Exceptional customer service. Any individual or team which has had feedback that the service a customer has received has surpassed expectations.
Who can be nominated?
You can nominate any employee of South Cambridgeshire District Council including 3C shared service staff. You can not nominate your husband, wife, partner or a member of your family.
How to nominate
Managers will be notified when a nomination has been received for a member of their team and will be invited to comment.
We want to ensure that every entry has an equal chance of success. All entries will be assessed by Anne Ainsworth (Chief Operating Officer), along with one other member of Leadership Team on a rotating basis.
How will staff efforts be recognised?
Winners will be announced at a dedicated award ceremony. All nominees and winners will also be publicised on our staff intranet and will receive a certificate.
Was this web page helpful?