Supplementary Planning Documents (SPD)
What are Supplementary Planning Documents?
Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs) are intended to expand upon policy or provide further detail to policies in the adopted Development Plan.
Stages in the production of an SPD:
- Evidence gathering and preparation of draft SPD.
- Public consultation on the draft SPD (6 weeks).
- Consider representations received and finalise SPD.
- Adoption of SPD.
Adopted Supplementary Planning Documents
The Council has the following adopted SPDs supporting the South Cambridgeshire Local Plan 2018:
- Cambridgeshire Flood and Water SPD - adopted November 2018
- Cambridge East: North of Cherry Hinton SPD (prepared jointly with Cambridge City Council) -
adopted November 2018
Waterbeach SPD - adopted February 2019
The following SPDs were adopted by the Council to provide guidance to support previously adopted Development Plan Documents that have now been superseded by the South Cambridgeshire Local Plan 2018. These documents are still material considerations when making planning decisions, with the weight in decision making to be determined on a case by case basis having regard to consistency with national planning guidance and the adopted South Cambridgeshire Local Plan 2018:
- Affordable Housing SPD
- Biodiversity SPD
- Cottenham Village Design Statement SPD
- Development Affecting Conservation Areas SPD
- District Design Guide SPD
- Fen Drayton Former Land Settlement Association Estate SPD
- Health Impact Assessment SPD
- Landscape in New Developments SPD
- Listed Buildings SPD
- Open Space in New Developments SPD
- Orchard Park Design Guidance SPD
- Public Art SPD
- Trees & Development Sites SPD
New SPDs being Prepared
The Council is reviewing its programme for the preparation of SPDs including considering whether any of the SPDs listed above will be reviewed and updated to support the South Cambridgeshire Local Plan 2018.
The following SPDs are being prepared:
- Bourn Airfield New Village SPD
- Sustainable Design and Construction SPD (This is being prepared jointly with Cambridge City Council)
- Village Design Statement SPDs for Caldecote, Fulbourn, Gamlingay, Histon & Impington, Over, Papworth Everard, Sawston and Swavesey
Informal Planning Policy Guidance
We have also produced the Foodstore Provision in North West Cambridge Informal Planning Policy Guidance (adopted March 2011) which is a material consideration in determining planning applications. This guidance document sets out a strategy for the provision of foodstores in north west Cambridge along with development principles that should be followed by developers.
Was this web page helpful?