South Cambridgeshire Logo
My South Cambs:
Sign in or register

News release from: 17/01/2024

Planning approved for sustainable housing community in Cambourne

Planning approved for sustainable housing community in Cambourne

The South Cambridgeshire Investment Partnership (SCIP), an equal partnership between South Cambridgeshire District Council and award-winning housebuilder The Hill Group, has received planning approval for the development of 256 new low-carbon homes in Cambourne, of which 102 (40%) will be affordable.

The 9.64-hectare residential development, located beside Cambourne Business Park, will incorporate a range of community amenities, including a café, public open spaces, and abundant green space and play areas.

Representing the first to be delivered by the partnership, the development will feature a diverse range of residential properties, ranging in size from one-bedroom apartments to five-bedroom houses. Of the 102 affordable homes, 72 (70%) will be built according to Passivhaus principles and allocated for affordable rent, with these properties owned and managed by the Council. The remaining 30 homes (30%) will be available for purchase through shared ownership. The use of insulation, air-source heat pumps, photovoltaic panels, and sustainable building services and controls will make the properties at the gas-free development highly energy efficient.

Biodiversity will be increased by 20%, surpassing the required 10% mandated by national planning legislation. New trees, hedgerows, and wildflowers will be planted while existing trees are preserved. The target is to maximise the biodiversity net gain (BNG) achieved at the development, with the remaining BNG% delivered nearby.

Car-free travel will be promoted through new pedestrian, cycle, and bus lanes connecting residents to the nearby Cambourne West development. Electric vehicle charging stations are also included in the plans, as well as storage capacity for more than 800 bicycles.

The decision of the Council’s Planning Committee on 17th January 2024 follows a comprehensive dialogue between SCIP and local residents. Two public consultations for the proposed development were held, in 2021 and 2022, to ensure the plans reflected the views of the local community.

Tom Hill, SCIP board member and Managing Director at The Hill Group said, “We’re delighted by this outcome, which will enable SCIP to continue its investment in the area and provide hundreds of high-quality homes in Cambourne. Developing a site with strong green credentials that align fully with the council’s Corporate Asset Plan to deliver cleaner, greener, zero-carbon futures for local communities is a key priority for SCIP. The Cambourne site embodies these values and will help play a role in creating a more sustainable future.”

Richard Stobart, South Cambridgeshire District Councillor and SCIP board member says “The Cambourne development marries excellence in design with elevated green standards. Sustainability is at the very heart of this development and we’re thrilled that it will deliver 72 affordable homes built to Passivhaus standards. This will translate to low energy bills for tenants.”

“We’re grateful for the feedback we received from the public during the consultation phase – this has given us the opportunity to take on board the views of members of the local community and strengthen our relationship with local stakeholders. We now look forward to working sensitively with our neighbours during the next stages of the project.”

To find out more about the plans and the development, please visit the SCIP website.