New council homes in South Cambridgeshire
We are committed to building new homes for Council tenants that are truly affordable to live in. On this page you can find information about where our new homes have been built, or are being built, across a number of developments around the district.
Some of the new homes will be available as affordable rent properties. Once they are complete, you will be able to register your interest in these homes via HomeLink.
The rest of the new homes will be available through a shared ownership scheme. Even before these homes are complete, they will be advertised privately. Details of whom to contact will be on the development site signboards, alternatively, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
All of our new homes are built to high specifications and are energy efficient, with double glazed windows. Some homes also have solar panels or are powered by air source heat pumps.
Potential tenants or buyers who have a local connection will be prioritised for all of our new build homes.
Homes being built
Meadowcroft Way, Orwell
- Working with Ermine Construction, we are developing this small Brownfield, South Cambridgeshire District Council owned, site to deliver 4x 1-bed Maisonettes that will all be advertised for affordable rent. The 4 properties will be advertised through HomeLink a few months prior to their completion, which we expect to be early winter 2023.
Strawberry Farm, Great Abington
- Working alongside David Reed Homes, we expect to complete on 3 affordable properties by the spring of 2023. These properties are made up of 2x 2-bed semi-detached houses with garages for affordable rent, with 1x 3-bed detached house with garage for shared ownership. The affordable rent properties will be advertised through HomeLink a few months prior to their completion. The shared ownership property is currently advertised through William H Brown. For further details, please contact them at SCDC@williamhbrown.co.uk.
Downing Gardens, Gamlingay
- Working alongside Morris Homes, we expect to complete on 34 affordable properties by the autumn of 2023. These properties are made up of 6x 1-bed cluster houses, 8x 1-bed Maisonettes and 10x 2-bed houses for affordable rent, with a further 5x 2-bed houses and 5x 3-bed houses to be advertised for shared ownership. The affordable rent properties will be advertised through HomeLink a few months prior to their completion. The shared ownership properties are advertised through William H Brown. For further details, please contact them at SCDC@williamhbrown.co.uk.
The Hawthorns, Sawston
- We haven't yet completed all homes at this development, but by spring 2023 there will be 44 affordable rent and 19 shared ownership homes completed at this site.
- The affordable rent homes will include 20x 1-bedroom apartments; 21x 2-bedroom apartments; 2x 3-bedroom houses; and 1x 4-bedroom house. The first 26 affordable rent apartments are completed and allocated, the outstanding properties will be advertised through HomeLink in the coming months.
- Through shared ownership there will be 4x 1-bedroom apartments; 11x 2-bedroom apartments; three 3-bedroom houses; and one 4-bedroom house. The majority of the apartments have been sold/reserved but there are still a few currently being advertised through William H Brown, as well as some of the houses, for further details please contact them at SCDC@williamhbrown.co.uk.
New Road, Melbourn
- In November 2022 we completed on 8 Affordable Rent properties developed by Prime Crest Homes Ltd. The properties, consisting of 4x 1-bed apartments and 4x 2-bed apartments will be advertised through HomeLink. The 1-bed apartments are now all occupied. The 2-bed apartments will be advertised shortly.
Boxworth End, Swavesey
- In September 2022 we completed on 12 Affordable properties developed by Matthew Homes. The properties consist of 4x 1-bed apartments and 4x 2-bed terraced houses for affordable rent. There are a further 2x 2-bed semi-detached homes and 2x 3-bed semi-detached homes advertised for shared ownership through William H Brown. All are now occupied or reserved.
Mason Road, Waterbeach
- Our second development with Matthew Homes completed in October 2022. The properties consist of 2x 1-bed Maisonettes and 4x 2-bed terraced houses for affordable rent, with a further 2x 3-bed semi-detached homes advertised for shared ownership through William H Brown. All Affordable rent properties are now occupied, and 1 shared ownership home has been reserved. We have 1 shared ownership property currently being marketed. For further details please contact Willaim H Brown at SCDC@williamhbrown.co.uk.
High Street, Meldreth
- In November 2022, 4 affordable rent homes were completed in High Street, Meldreth by developer Enterprise. These were made up of 2x 2-bed semi-detached homes and 2x 3-bed semi-detached homes. A further 3x 2-bed terraced homes were also completed for shared ownership and were advertised by William H Brown. All properties are now occupied or reserved.
The Birdlings, Toft
- Over the course of the last 18 months, we worked with Beechwood Estates to provide 36 affordable homes. Eleven shared ownership homes were completed (2 to 4 bedrooms) and were advertised through Domovo, all have now been sold. A further 25 homes were completed, with the last 2 homes handed over to us in October 2022, for affordable rent. This included 8x 1-bedroom apartments; 9x 2-bedroom apartments; 5x 2-bedroom houses; and 3x 3-bedroom houses. All are now occupied.
Emerson Park, Great Abington
- Three affordable rent homes built to a high specification were completed in January 2022, all are now occupied. This site also offers 4x 1-bedroom apartments offered under the 'First Homes' initiative. For further information, please contact the developer: Laragh Homes.
Orchard Gardens, Melbourn
- Nine affordable homes completed in early 2022. These consisted of 2x 1-bed apartments, a 1-bed house and 3x 2-bed homes for affordable rent. All are now occupied. The remaining 3 homes, all 3-bed houses, were advertised for shared ownership through Domovo. All have been sold.
Burlington Place, Foxton
- In autumn 2020, we have had 6x affordable rent homes tenanted (4x 1-bedroom maisonettes and 2x 2-bedroom houses), alongside 3 shared ownership homes (1x 2-bedroom house and 2x 3-bedroom houses). All are now occupied.
Burton End, West Wickham
- In winter 2020, 3x affordable rent homes have been tenanted (1x 1-bedroom bungalow; 1x 2-bedroom bungalow; and 1x 2-bedroom house), alongside 1x 3-bedroom shared ownership house which has now been sold and occupied.
Larkfield, Great Abington
- Eighteen new homes completed in summer 2020 - a mixture of affordable rent and shared ownership. All are now occupied.
Pembrook Way, Teversham
- Five new affordable rent homes completed in winter 2020, including 2x 1-bedroom maisonettes; 2x 2-bedroom houses; and 1x 1-bedroom bungalow. All are now occupied.
Hunters Close, Impington
- In October 2021, we completed on 7 affordable rent homes (6x 1-bedroom flats, 1x 3-bedroom house) and 3 shared ownership homes (2x 2-bedroom houses and 1x 3-bedroom house). All affordable rent homes are occupied, and all shared ownership homes are now sold.
Meridian Fields, Hardwick
- Working with Hills Development, 25 new build affordable rent homes, ranging from 1-bed to 4-bed, have been completed through 2021 and all are now occupied. Twelve shared ownership homes have also been completed, ranging from 2- to 3- bed. All have now been sold.
Bartlow Road, Castle Camps
- In September 2021, we completed on 4 new affordable homes consisting of 3 affordable rent and 1x shared ownership. All are now occupied.
Potential future developments
We are currently working alongside several developers to acquire further affordable homes across our district.