Empty homes

Empty homes

There is a significant lack of affordable homes in South Cambridgeshire and by bringing unoccupied homes back into use we can increase the supply of housing that is available.
There are currently over 4,800 people on the housing register looking for accommodation.

We want to make the most of the homes in the District and want to encourage owners to bring long-term empty homes back into use.

To report an empty home please email us with as much information as possible.

If you are the owner of an empty home there are a number of options available to you.

Repair it

You may need to refurbish or repair the property before you can sell it or rent it out. It is advisable to get the work done as soon as possible so you can start to recover the costs.

There is a reduced VAT rate for the cost of renovating a property that has been empty for two years or more. You could pay just 5% instead of 20%.  Visit the Gov.uk website for more information.


Sell it

You can sell through an estate agent, at an auction or by advertising the property yourself. Get your property valued by a professional property survey or estate agent. Set an asking price but decide how flexible you will be as potential buyers may try to negotiate the price. 

Our arms-length private sector letting agent, Ermine Street Housing, may be interested in purchasing your property. 

Get in touch by calling 01954 713 099 or email contact@erminestreethousing.co.uk 

Rent it out

If your home is ready to move into you can rent it out. You could do that yourself or use an agency. Our Private Sector Leasing scheme, Shire Homes,  may be able to offer their property management services to you.

Shire Homes can offer a complete Housing and Property Management Service including:

✓ Lettings

✓ Property inspections

✓ Rent and service charge collection

✓ Guaranteed rental income

✓ Anti-social behaviour dealt with promptly

✓ Response repairs

Whatever size, from a bedsit to a four bedroom house, Shire Homes are interested in speaking to empty property owners to see if this may be an option for you to help bring your dwelling back into use.

Contact Louise.Moulding@scambs.gov.uk