South Cambridgeshire Logo
My South Cambs:
Sign in or register
Environmental Crime pollution.svg

General guidance

The Council is responsible for the licensing of caravan and park home sites and for ensuring the conditions of the site licence are adhered to. A caravan is defined as any structure designed or adapted for human habitation which is capable of being moved from one place to another. This is whether it is towed, transported on a motor vehicle or trailer, or any motor vehicle designed or so adapted, but does not include any railway rolling stock or any tent.

Land being used as a caravan site requires planning permission. You need to obtain this first before applying for a site licence. A protected site is a mobile home park which has planning permission to have residents living there as their main residence throughout the year.

See the planning page for more information

Once planning permission is granted you will then need to apply for a site licence. If you need to apply for this or you need to transfer or vary a licence then please also contact Environmental Health.

Please email us for an application form. 

There are fees for applying, transferring and varying a licence which are listed on the fees and charges page. 


The following situations do not require a site licence and are therefore exempt from the above legislation. Planning permission may still be required so please contact the planning department.

  • A caravan sited with the curtilage of a dwelling and its use is incidental to the dwelling. This means it cannot be occupied separately.
  • A single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club.
  • Sites of up to 5 caravans certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members only.
  • Sites occupied by the local authority. These are usually gypsy sites.
  • Sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen.
  • A site for tents only can be used for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.

Contact Details