Electoral registration FAQs

This page contains some of the questions we are asked most frequently about Elections and Electoral Registration. Click on the question below to show the answer.


To opt out please email optout@scambs.gov.uk with your full name and address.

The Register is not available to view online. 

A paper copy of the Register can be inspected in person at the Council's offices in Cambourne.

It will almost certainly be much harder to obtain credit if you are not on the Register.

Even if you have registered to pay council tax or receive other council services, you may still need to register. This will especially be the case if you have recently moved house.

Please contact the elections office to request a change of name form. You will need to supply evidence of the name change. You can email us at elections@scambs.gov.uk or call us on 03450 455214.

Alternatively you can register online again using your new details. 

Poll cards do not always arrive together, but it would be best to check that you are on the Register by calling 03450 455 214.

For recent and upcoming elections please see our Elections 2020 page.

The verification number is the number of electors that need to petition us if they want a referendum to be held on whether to have an elected mayor for our area.

Verification Number 2020

Individual Electoral Registration (IER) was introduced in England on 10 June 2014. IER requires residents to be responsible for their own registration - electors can no longer be registered as part of a household.

IER also introduced online registration, making the process quicker and easier. Visit Gov.uk's website to register and find out more.

You can choose to vote by post or by proxy. Find out more on our voting by post or proxy webpage.

The Full Register

This has the names and addresses of everyone registered to vote and is updated every month. Anyone can look at it at the Council's office, but copies can only be supplied for certain purposes, such as elections and law enforcement. Credit reference agencies are also allowed to use the Full Register, but only to check your name and address if you are applying for credit, and to help stop 'money laundering'. Anyone who has a copy of the Register will be committing a criminal offence if they unlawfully pass on information from it.

The Open Register

This is available for general sale and can be used for any purpose. You can choose not to be on it. It will be kept separate from the Full Register and updated every month. The Open Register can be bought by any person, company or organisation and could be used for different purposes such as checking your identity and commercial activities such as marketing.

Should you "Opt Out" of the Open Register?

If you do tick the "opt out" box when registering, your name and address will only appear on the Full Register. If you do not tick the box, your name will also appear on the open version of the Register, which anyone can buy. This means anyone can use your details for any purpose. To opt out once already registered you can email optout@scambs.gov.uk.

Was this web page helpful?