South Cambridgeshire Logo
My South Cambs:
Sign in or register
White icon - Local Housing allowance

What benefits are available to me?

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you’re unemployed, on a low income or claiming other benefits. You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if one of the following apply:

  • you have reached State Pension age
  • you are in supported, sheltered or temporary housing

If you have reached state pension age and are single, you can make a new claim for Housing Benefit.

If you are over state pension age and live with your partner, you can make a new claim for Housing Benefit if any of the following apply:

  • you and your partner have both reached State Pension age
  • one of you reached State Pension age and started getting Pension Credit (for you as a couple) before 15 May 2019
  • you are in supported, sheltered or temporary housing

If you are in supported, sheltered or temporary housing, you can make a new claim if:

  • you are living in temporary accommodation, such as a B&B arranged by the council
  • you are living in a refuge for survivors of domestic abuse
  • you are living in sheltered or supported housing (such as a hostel) which provides you with ‘care, support or supervision’
  • If you do not get ‘care, support or supervision’ through your supported or sheltered housing, you can apply for Universal Credit to help with housing costs.

Read more about Housing benefit on the GOV.UK housing benefit page

Apply for Housing Benefit

Council Tax support

The Local Council Tax Support Scheme for residents is approved annually in January for the following financial year. Please read our council tax reduction scheme for more details on the banded scheme.


There is a national requirement that all pensioners are protected from any reductions. Their Local Council Tax Support will be assessed under the same rules applied under Council Tax Benefit. 

Working age 

Working age customers will be eligible for up to 100% Council Tax support, depending on their household income and circumstances.

You can find out how much Council Tax Support you are likely to get by using our benefits calculator.

Read about what you need to know while on benefits

Apply for Council Tax Support

Second adult rebate

Second Adult rebate can also help with Council Tax for people who are State Pension Credit Age

You may be able to get help towards your council tax if you share your home with one adult (a person aged 18 or over) or:

  • who is not your partner
  • does not pay council tax themselves
  • is on a low income
  • does not pay you rent on a commercial basis

This is called second adult rebate and is based on the other adult's circumstances, however you will have to make the claim.

Apply for a Second Adult rebate

What to do if you disagree with the decision

If you are unhappy with the outcome of your application and would like an explanation or reconsideration, this must be done within a month of the date of the original decision. If you do not agree with our decision, you have the right to appeal.

Read more about what to do if you disagree with the decision