Bulky item collection service
Before you ask us to collect an unwanted large or bulky item, can you pass it on in another way? Check our Recycling A-Z for advice on specific items. For example, you could:
- Sell it on a network site like Gumtree or give it to charity (some charities can collect large items from your home)
- Take it to Milton recycling centre or Thriplow recycling centre
- Check whether it can be taken away by the company delivering a replacement product (e.g. mattress or white goods)
South Cambridgeshire District Council will collect bulky household items by arrangement. There is a charge of £30.00 for the first three items and £5.00 per extra item booked at the same time. We will provide a quote for removing some larger items such as a piano or American-style fridge-freezer.
To arrange collection of a bulky item or to enquire about this service call 03450 450 063. Payment is required at the time of booking and can be arranged over the telephone. It would be helpful to have a list of items you would like collected and your debit/credit card details to hand when you call.
You will be given a date when the collection will be made and the items for collection will need to be placed in a position both easily accessible and visible from the road at the front of your property by 6am on the day of the collection (e.g. front garden or drive). Please note that Council staff are instructed not to enter the property to collect items.
If you prefer, you can take the items yourself to one of the Household Waste Recycling Centres (based at Milton or Thriplow). There is NO CHARGE made for leaving items at one of these centres.
We can collect many items including:
- Furniture (each piece counts as 1 item, e.g. 2 chairs = 2 items, bed and mattress = 2 items)
- Carpet (1 rooms worth = 1 item)
- White goods
- Cooker / Oven
- Vacuum cleaner
Items we will not remove
The following items will never be removed. Consult a telephone directory for specialist disposal companies.
- Industrial Fridges
- Oil or items that have been contaminated with oil e.g. oil tanks
- Vehicle batteries