So, what are my bins for?
Your coloured bins are used as follows:
Blue bin - Recyclable materials
Black bin - Non-recyclable and non-compostable materials
Green bin - Food and garden waste
Use our interactive search to find out what specific items can be put in each of your bins, on our what goes in which bin webpage.
What goes in my blue bin?
- Paper, newspapers, magazines and envelopes
- Cartons (e.g. Tetrapack)
- Plastic bags, film wrapping
- Plastic bottles, pots, tubs and trays (excluding any black plastic which cannot currently be recycled)
- Food and drinks cans
- Empty aerosols
- Greetings cards
- Wrapping paper (no metallic plastic)
- Tinfoil and foil trays
- Biscuit and sweet tins
- Glass jars and bottles
- Do not put inside the bin: Batteries including AA and AAA cells, button batteries, size C and D and any laptop or mobile battery - Put in a clear plastic bag and tie it to your blue bin lid
- Clothes, textiles or shoes (take to charity shops or clothing banks)
- Expanded polystyrene or Styrofoam
- Non-packaging plastic e.g. toys, bowls
- Flat glass or mirrors
- Kitchen paper and tissues (put in green bin)
- Dirty packaging
- Paint tins
What goes in my black bin?
- General household non-recyclable and non-compostable material waste
- Disposable nappies should be put in the black bin
- Empty or full paint tins
- Very heavy items
- Electrical items
What goes in my green bin?
- Garden waste, such as grass cuttings and leaves
- Untreated wood
- straw and sawdust
- Food waste (meat, fish dairy, fruit and vegetable peelings)
- Used paper tissues and kitchen paper
- Any plastic
- plastic type bags/sacks and biodegradable/compostable 'plastic' food waste bags
- Cat or dog waste
- Soil, stones or turf
- treated wood
- Extra garden waste cannot be collected
Kitchen caddy and paper liners
Can be used for your kitchen food waste and then emptied into your green bin when full.
On your bin collection day, make sure:
- you close your bin lids firmly
- put your bins out by 6am on the day of your collection
- don't overfill your wheeled bin and ensure the lid is closed
- that your bin isn't too heavy to move, it will not be emptied
- the bin has the correct items in it, we may refuse to take it if they are wrong
If your bin is not collected, please report your missed bin collection after 3:30pm on your collection day and by 3.30pm the following day.
If the bin has the wrong items in it, we may refuse to take it.