1. The provision of an additional green bin will be subject to an annual charge that covers the emptying of the bin for the period 1st October to 30th September each year.
2. As we are introducing the scheme on 1st April 2019 the first period will be shorter than usual, running from 1st April to 30th September 2019.
3. There is a reduced charge for the first period (1st April to 30th September 2019) of £20 per bin. The charge for the following period (1st October 2019 to 30th September 2020) will be £35 per bin per year.
4. There are no concessions and the annual charge is for the full period irrespective of when you started the service. For example, if you order an additional green bin in June you have to pay the full annual charge for the period June to September and then the annual charge on 1st October each year thereafter.
5. It is a condition to pay the annual renewal charge due on 1st October each year by Direct Debit.
6. The bin will remain the property of Greater Cambridge Shared Waste Service (GCSWS).
7. Bins are standard 240 litre capacity green wheelie bins. A maximum of three additional green bins can be obtained.
8. Only additional GCSWS supplied bins will be emptied.
9. The sticker provided must be placed on the body of the bin at the back, under the handles so it is clearly visible to the collection crews. The bin should then be put out on collection day with the handles towards the road. If a second or additional green bin does not have a sticker GCSWS cannot guarantee to empty it.
10. If you move within the Cambridge City Council or South Cambridgeshire District Council areas you can transfer the bin, however you must notify us of your change of address. If you move out of the area the annual charge is non-refundable and you must contact us to have the bin removed.
11. Green bins will be emptied fortnightly from March to November and monthly from December to February.
12. All green bin waste must be contained within the bin and the bin lid closed otherwise it will not be emptied. Excess waste will not be collected.
13. Items which are allowed in the bin are:
Organic kitchen waste includes the following materials:
Garden waste includes the following materials:
14. Items prohibited from the bin are:
15. Bins which are rejected due to prohibited must have the items removed and will not be recollected until the next scheduled collection day.
16. If bins are left by the collection crew due to the contents being frozen they will not be recollected until the next scheduled collection day.
17. The bin must be available for collection at 6.00am on the day of collection. The bin should be presented at the kerbside for emptying. Assisted collections are available to residents who qualify for the service.
18. Missed collections - we will only return for missed bins in the following circumstances:
19. If the wheeled bin cannot be safely manoeuvred and positioned onto the vehicle, or the vehicle cannot lift the bin due to the weight of the bin, then it will be left un-emptied and a reject card left where possible. If the bin is found to be too heavy the householder will be required to remove sufficient material from the bin and dispose of it in a responsible manner. Once sufficient weight has been removed from the bin we will collect it on the next scheduled collection day
20. If you are sharing your second green bin with a neighbour the householder who pays the annual charge will have overall responsibility for the bin as a bin can only be allocated to one address. It is the responsibility of the named householder if the bin is contaminated, misused or needs replacing.
21. Non-payment of the annual charge will result in the bin not being emptied.
Was this web page helpful?