Housing Benefit and Social Housing Under Occupation

Apply to be part of the Under-Occupation scheme

Frequently asked questions

Where a claimant or partner who is an approved foster carer one extra bedroom will be allowed under the size criteria rules for use by a foster child or children, in both the private and social rented sectors.

Under the Housing Benefit regulations one bedroom is allowed for each of the following:  

  • Every adult couple (married or unmarried)
  • Any other adult aged 16 or over
  • Any two children of the same sex aged under 16
  • Any two children aged under 10
  • Any other child
  • A carer (or team of carers) who does not live with you but provides overnight care for you or your partner - From 1 April 2017 this was extended to include non-resident carers for children or non-dependants.  
  • An additional room maybe allowed for a disabled child if they cannot share a room due to a disability. From 1 April 2017 this also applies where you and your partner cannot share a room due to a physical disability. Please see further down this section for more information.

In addition:

  • An additional room will be allowed for a foster child or children living with an approved foster carer
  • Parents of armed forces personnel who are away from home on operations will continue to have then included as part of their household 

If you are assessed as under-occupying your accommodation and experience a reduction in your Housing Benefit, there are a number of courses of action open to you. You may wish to find more appropriately sized accommodation or stay where you are and make up the shortfall in rent yourself. Your options are:


You may decide that it would be best to move to appropriately sized accommodation in the social rented sector. Your landlord will be able to talk this through with you and advise you whether this in a viable option. 

You may decide that moving to the private rented sector would be appropriate for you. Again your landlord or local authority will be able to advise you about this. 

Ask non-dependants to contribute

If you decide to stay in your current accommodation and make up the shortfall yourself you may wish to ask other non-dependants living with you to contribute to the rent. 

Take in a lodger

You may wish to take in a lodger to fill the extra room you have. You should check this is allowed by your landlord. If you do this the lodger would be assessed as part of the household meaning you would not necessarily be considered to be under-occupying and you may have more income from their rent. 

Increase hours of work

If you are in employment you may consider increasing your working hours to make up the shortfall in rent. 

Find a job

If you are not currently in employment, finding a job could help you pay the additional rent. 

Apply for Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)

In certain circumstances a claimant may be entitled to a payment from the Discretionary Housing Payment Fund. This is a fund administered by the local authority for those they consider in real need of additional help with their housing costs.

If you could previously afford to pay your rent and find yourself in a situation where you now cannot, for example because of a loss of job, provided you have not claimed Housing Benefit in the last 52 weeks, the size limit rules will not be applied for the first 13 weeks. They will be applied earlier than 13 weeks if you move home or have another change of circumstances.

Where parents who don’t live together have shared care of their children, the children will be treated as living with the parent who is treated as responsible for them and provides their main home.  

For someone to be treated as responsible for a child or young person, the child or young person must normally be living with them. If a child or young person spends equal amounts of time in different households, or there is a question as to whom they normally live with, they will be treated as living with the person who is receiving Child Benefit for them. 

The parent who is not considered to provide their main home will not be entitled to receive Housing Benefit for an extra room for their child/children. If they wish to remain in their current accommodation they will need to make up the shortfall in rent themselves. 

If you occupy your accommodation jointly with someone else the size limit rules will take into account everyone living in the property when deciding whether you are under-occupying for Housing Benefit purposes. If it is decided that you are under-occupying, a percentage reduction will be taken off the whole eligible rent and any eligible service charges and your Housing Benefit will then be based on the proportion of the rent you are liable to pay.

You will be allowed to keep an extra bedroom if your child has severe disabilities and is unable to share a bedroom. In making this decision, we are likely to consider:

  • Any medical evidence about your child's condition
  • Whether your child receives certain benefits for their medical condition
  • If your child needs care during the night
  • How the other child they would normally have to share a room with, would be affected.

From 1 April 2017, similar rules were introduced where a couple is unable to share a room.

The new size limit rules do not allow for this, unless the absence is temporary (less than thirteen weeks or 52 weeks for students) and the young person concerned intends to return home. 

Other than the cases stated above there will be no exceptions to the application of the size limit rules. If there is a reason that an extra room is necessary your local authority may be able to help you with the extra rent through the Discretionary Housing Payment fund. 

There may be circumstances where someone in receipt of Housing Benefit would be considered to be under-occupying because of a death in their household. In these circumstances they would be protected and the size limit rules would not be applied until after 12 months or they moved home or there was another change of circumstances (whichever came first).  

South Cambridgeshire District Council Services

You can get free, independent advice about rent difficulties from several organisations:

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

  • The Citizens Advice Bureau offers free, confidential advice face-to-face or by phone. Most CABs also offer home visits, and some give email advice.
  • 08444 111 444
  • Text Relay users should call 08444 111 445 

National Debt Line 

  • National Debt Line is a free, confidential service offering independent advice about dealing with debt. You can get information online or by calling the free helpline.
  • 0808 808 4000 

The Money Advice Service 

  • The Money Advice Service offers free, unbiased financial advice and money health checks that can be completed online helping you to make the most of your money.  Further information can be found at:
  • 0300 500 5000

Anyone under state pension retirement age.

If one member of a couple receiving Housing Benefit is over state pension credit age then the size limit will not apply to them. 

Under the Housing Benefit Regulation the number of bedrooms a family needs is specified. Please see the question above "how many rooms am I allowed?"

Where the number of rooms in the property are higher than those allowed, a reduction in the maximum rent will be applied.  

If you are assessed as under-occupying your accommodation a percentage reduction will be made to your eligible rent and any eligible service charges. This percentage will be:

  • 14% if it is considered you have one extra bedroom
  • 25% if it is considered you have two or more extra bedrooms.

The size limit measure will affect anyone who is of working age and is receiving Housing Benefit or has made a claim for Housing Benefit.

If you wish to move to smaller accommodation it is advisable to talk to your landlord. They should be able to advise you if moving to smaller accommodation is possible and what steps you need to take.

There is no shared accommodation rate in the social rented sector. A person living on their own will require one bedroom, whether the property is self-contained or not regardless of their age.