South Cambridgeshire Logo
My South Cambs:
Sign in or register

News release from: 09/07/2024

Anonymous tip-off leads to Council tenant being convicted for sub-letting his home while living abroad

Anonymous tip-off leads to Council tenant being convicted for sub-letting his home while living abroad

A man from Impington has been convicted for subletting his Council house for more than two years while living abroad.

Robert Cieslik, 36, failed to tell South Cambridgeshire District Council he was living overseas while renting out his Council house for financial gain.

He was investigated following an anonymous tip off.

Cieslik failed to turn up to the hearing at Cambridge Magistrates Court and was found guilty of tenancy fraud in his absence. He was fined £660 and ordered to pay £5,000 costs, as well as a victim surcharge of £264.

District Council finance bosses say it is a reminder to all Council tenants to ensure that every intended change in property use or a change of personal circumstances are discussed with the authority.

Failing to do so may be a breach of the tenancy or constitute a civil or criminal offence.

A thorough investigation revealed that rental income was being received by Cieslik, who had only travelled to the UK on a handful of occasions during the period of two and a half years.

It was discovered that Cieslik had failed to seek permission or inform the District Council of a change in circumstances.

Cllr John Williams, Lead Member for Resources for South Cambridgeshire District Council, said: “This court case highlights why it is so important that any resident speak to the Council if they wish to change the use or leave their tenancy and tell us if their circumstances change. We are always happy to assist residents and help them with their housing needs that they are entitled to but won’t tolerate anyone abusing the Council’s resources in an illegal manner. If you’re a tenant and your circumstances have changed, talk to us. If you don’t you could end-up in court.”

  • Please use our online form to report suspected fraud.
  • You can use this form to report housing fraud, Council Tax fraud, procurement fraud, right to buy fraud or grant fraud.