Village Design Guides
A new generation of rural design guidance
Since 2018, we have been working with 8 villages in the district to develop new Village Design Guides, funded by central government. The aim is to raise the quality of new planned development and support inclusive, sustainable growth. As a result we have now adopted 7 new Supplementary Planning Documents which are now material planning considerations in deciding planning applications. An eighth Village Design Guide is currently under development.
You can view and download the 7 adopted Village Design Guides below:
- Caldecote Village Design Guide Supplementary Planning Document
- Fulbourn Village Design Guide Supplementary Planning Document
- Gamlingay Village Design Guide Supplementary Planning Document
- Over Village Design Guide Supplementary Planning Document
- Papworth Everard Village Design Guide Supplementary Planning Document
- Sawston Village Design Guide Supplementary Planning Document
- Swavesey Village Design Guide Supplementary Planning Document
Here is also the draft Histon and Impington Village Design Guide Supplementary Planning Document. Please note that this consultation is now closed.
Background to the project
In 2018 we secured funding from the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government to develop 6-8 new-look Village Design Guides in a trailblazing collaboration with village communities. It has allowed us to fund expert design consultants to work with village representatives in developing effective, forward-looking guidance, breaking new ground in co-creating policy with local communities.
A Village Design Guide describes the distinctive character of the village and sets out guidelines for how this should be enhanced by new developments. It helps communities and planners shape the character of new development in your area, in response to community priorities. It is a way to provide more locally specific detail, which augments and amplifies our Local Plan policies.
The Village Design Guide Supplementary Planning Documents are:
- Concise and visually led- providing clear and unambiguous guidance
- Focused on the priorities of the village community, ensuring that the full diversity of community views are included.
- Design focused – looking at how buildings, streets, spaces landscape and materials come together to create areas with distinctive identity and character.
- Forward-looking– aiming to make new development the best quality it can be, encouraging appropriate, creative design approaches.
How can I be kept informed?
Individuals and organisations can opt-in to receiving future mailings in relation to the Village Design Guide SPDs by registering/ logging in to the South Cambridgeshire District consultation database. When you register you will be asked to select which topics you would like future mailings about. If you are already registered you can amend your topics under the My Account section and Topics.
Was this web page helpful?