Street trading licences

Application for a street trading consent under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982

On 23 February 2022, the Council adopted a new street trading policy which covers all streets (except the A11 and A14, and any area of land which is in the ownership and control of the County, District or Parish Council) in the District. 

There are a few activities excluded from the scope of the regime, and these include trading at a fair, fete or similar one-day community event. Full details can be found within the policy.

Any person wishing to sell or offer for sale any article in a consent street, including the following examples:

  • Food vans
  • Ice cream vans
  • Flower sellers
  • Vans selling bread, cakes, vegetables etc.

There are two types of Consent, Standard Consent and Consented Premises:

Standard Consent

(i) Static Street Consent

Where the operator is trading at a fixed pitch for more than 4 ½  hours in a 24-hour period.

 (ii) Mobile Street Consent

Where the trader wishes to move from place to place. In order to meet the criteria for mobile consent, whilst a trader may have consent for multiple sites, they must not trade in one location for more than 4 ½  hours at a time, and not  return to the same site on the same day  (The 4 ½ hour period excludes setting up and clear up time.)   

(iii) Layby Traders

Where the operator is trading fixed hours in one location throughout the week.

Consented Premises  

Consented Premises These are areas that are privately owned, operated and managed to which the public have access without payment, these include, but are not limited to, car parks and other areas attached to public houses or village halls. This is a consent issued to a premises to enable a single location to be used by different consented premises traders on an ad-hoc basis. This applies to private landowners or occupiers such as public house car parks who wish to host traders to complement their primary business.  This consent may be suitable for pop-up food traders and also non-food articles, such as Christmas trees.

Consented Premises Trader  

Where trading may take place at consented premises only in the District.

Any individual  wishing to trade in these areas  must be registered as a consented premises trader. Once issued, the consent will enable the trader to trade at any consented premises within the South Cambridgeshire District.

Application Forms

It will soon be possible to apply online, but in the interim, the application forms can be downloaded below. The Policy will explain what is required, and the conditions that will be attached to any consent that may be granted.

Apply for Standard Consent

Approved Consented Premises Locations

The below list is regularly updated as and when new premises are approved.

The Black Horse 
6 High Street
CB24 8QE
Waggon & Horses, Linton
110 High Street
CB21 4JT

Was this web page helpful?

Feedback form

Your feedback
Do you require feedback from a member of the team? *
Your details