South Cambridgeshire Logo
My South Cambs:
Sign in or register
White icon - licensing

Keeping dangerous wild animals

Any person keeping a dangerous wild animal is required to hold a licence from the Local Authority. The schedule of the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 (from DEFRA) lists animals which are considered dangerous.


Animals kept at a zoo (see Zoo Licensing), circus, pet shop or scientific laboratory.

Licence Conditions

  • The annual licence can only be issued after an inspection by our retained veterinary officer and must state which animal it relates to and where the animal will normally be kept and number to be permitted
  • The licence cannot be issued if it would be unsafe to the public, the applicant is not a suitable person and conditions are not suitable and secure
  • Conditions also relate to fire, infections and insurance


The fee is £395 (plus relevant vet fees).

How to apply

Contact our Health and Environmental team by emailing

Contact Details