Gambling and lottery licences

If you own or run a gambling business you may need a licence and need to follow a code of practice.

4 types of licence may be needed by business owners:

  • An operating licence (from The Gambling Commission)
  • Personal management licence (from The Gambling Commission)
  • Personal function licence (from The Gambling Commission)
  • A premises licence (from us)

We provide gambling permits for pubs, clubs and other establishments for low-level gambling.

Gambling Act 2005 

In accordance with the requirements of the Gambling Act 2005 we have produced a Gambling Policy [PDF, 0.3MB].

Please also refer to the Gambling Policy Guidance Notes. [PDF, 0.2MB]

Consultation on Statement of Principles (Gambling Policy)

The Council’s current Statement of Principles/Policy under the Gambling Act 2005 will expire in January 2022. The Statement sets out the principles the Council will apply when carrying out its functions under the Gambling Act 2005 and it has to be reviewed and republished at least every three years. There are two minor amendments proposed to the policy:

The removal of a date at section 7, and;

Removal of obsolete Gambling Commission guidance relating to Planning a Part B.

Any person or body wishing to make comments on the revised Statement should email by no later than Monday 9 August 2021. You can also read the draft Statement of Principles.

Gaming Machines

What is the licence for?

Premises where machines constructed or adapted for playing a game of chance by means of inserting money or tokens require a licence.

How long does the licence last?

The licence is renewable annually.

What is the charge for this licence?

Gaming machine permit on premises with liquor licence - £50

Club machine permit - initial grant £200, annual fee £50

Club gaming permit - initial grant £200, annual fee £50

How to apply

Please discuss your requirements with a member of the licensing team, the regulations concerning the licensing of gaming machines is complex and each individual circumstance will have to be considered.

Please note there is a new Act pending for game machine licences.

Lottery Licence

What is the licence for?

Before holding a lottery where members of the public can purchase a chance, a society should first be registered under the Gambling Act 2005 with the Local Authority in which the office or Head office of the Society is situated.

How long does the licence last?

The licence is valid for one year and an annual renewal fee is charged.

What is the charge for this licence?

There is a fee for a small lottery licence. 

i) Grant - £40

ii) Renewal - £20

Pay your small society lottery licence annual fee

Do I need to submit a return?

A return is required for every lottery which is held under these regulations. Please consult the Lottery guidance [PDF, 0.1MB] for more information. The Lottery return form must be submitted within 3 months of the event.

Submit your small society lottery returns

How to apply

After reading the Lottery guidance [PDF, 0.1MB] notes carefully, you must fill out our online Lottery application form. A £40 registration fee is paid online via a debit or credit card, once the eform has been submitted. 

Apply for registration of a non-commercial society

Related Information

Was this web page helpful?

Feedback form

Your feedback
Do you require feedback from a member of the team?
Your details