South Cambridgeshire Logo
My South Cambs:
Sign in or register
Older Person Getting Support

Visiting support service

Promoting independent living in the community

We offer a visiting support service to our residents. Residents must be 65 years of age or older to be eligible for this service.

This is a short-term support service providing confidential, emotional, financial and practical support and promoting independent living in the community. When a resident is referred, by themselves, family or friends, GP or someone else, we perform a needs and risk assessment that tells us how we can best help.

So what's the visiting support service?

The Visiting Support Service can offer you support with: older man with support

Economic well-being 

  • debt
  • budgeting 
  • understanding and claiming your welfare benefit entitlements
  • application forms 
  • managing your tenancy
  • setting up payment plans


We can support you with:

  • personal care
  • support with cooking, shopping, laundry and gardening
  • anxiety and depression
  • memory problems
  • medication help
  • access to doctors and specialist medical care

Tackling loneliness and isolation An elderly woman knitting, with a couple playing chess in the background

We can help you: 

  • be more active
  • feel less lonely and isolated
  • be more sociable
  • get out and about more

We can do this by: 

  • find a local Day Centre for you to attend
  • find local groups and Social Clubs for you to join
  • help you find ways in which to learn a new skill
  • help you find somewhere for a cup of tea and a chat
  • find you a local chair based exercise group
  • help you to participate in swimming, walking or other activities

Staying safe 

Supporting you professionally without making any judgements about you and your situation.

Making a positive contribution to the wider community

We can signpost you to community activities and put you in touch with local volunteering services.


Pointing you in the right direction of other professionals who can help with individual problems in a personal and confidential way, for example:

  • Occupational Therapist to assist with adaptations to your property.
  • Mobile Wardens to support older people to live independently in their homes and in the community they know, and which knows them.
  • Community Lifeline Service which provides a pendant alarm in your home, which when pressed contacts a response centre so that help can be raised.

How much does the visiting support service cost?

This visiting support service is free. Each person is to complete a needs and risk assessment, to appraise their eligibility for the service. This assessment will be carried out confidentially and in a sensitive way.

How do I access this service?

You can access the visiting support service with a referral. This can either be:

  • a self-referral, or
  • a referral from other council officers, GPs, family members, community navigators, health, social care or the voluntary sector

Visiting Support referral form

For further information, please contact us on 01954 713 000.

Contact Details