South Cambridgeshire Logo
My South Cambs:
Sign in or register
Woman In Wheelchair

Tenant aids and adaptations

If you are having difficulties moving around your home, there are adaptations that can be put in place to make it easier and safer, as well as providing some independence.

If you, or someone you know or care for, needs some adaptations to their home and are a tenant of ours, we can help. 

Please see our Council Tenant Adaptations Policy [PDF, 0.2MB] for more information.

An example of some of the adaptations that can be made include: woman with a walking frame

  • Shower boards
  • Toilet frames
  • Bed rails
  • Grab rails
  • Half step
  • Over bath shower
  • Doorway widening

An occupational therapist will carry out an aids and adaptations assessment of your home and your needs either over the phone or by visiting you. They can provide advice, and may provide equipment and recommendations on adaptations. 

You can request a referral through Cambridgeshire County Council - email or call 03450455202. 

man with prosthetic leg outside houseAny recommendations for adaptations to your home will be sent to our Aids and Adaptations Project Manager, who will arrange for the work to be carried out.

There may be times when the adaptations you need will be too extensive or not practical to carry out in the home you are living in.  In these cases we will work with you to find a suitable home for you to live in that better suits your needs.

If you are a leaseholder or home owner, your adaptations can be dealt with by the Cambridgeshire Home Improvement Agency.

Contact Details