South Cambridgeshire Logo
My South Cambs:
Sign in or register
Black icon - House question

Moving in

Moving in

Registering with utility companies

When you're moving into your new home, you must contact all the companies that provide services to your accommodation to register that you live at the property.

  • You must tell them the date you're moving in or have moved in.
  • You may need to give meter readings from the electric and gas meters, unless they are on a key. 
  • You should also contact the local water company to have the water service put under your name.

Registering with council tax 

A woman making a phone call

Your landlord should inform our council tax team that you are moving into their property. However, we advise that you also contact the council tax team and let them know yourself.

You will then be sent a bill showing what council tax you owe and advising how it should be paid.

If you are on a low income, you may be able to apply for council tax benefit.
You can apply for this on the same form as housing benefit

Furniture and household goods

If you need to purchase furniture and household goods and are on a low income, then you may wish to contact Cambridge Reuse. They provide low cost, second hand items to families that are struggling financially. 

Cambridge Reuse are currently closed in line with government guidelines. Please keep an eye on their website for when they re-open

Financial assistance

A man and a woman operating an oversized calculatorIf your household is experiencing financial hardship or financial pressure, you may be eligible to receive assistance from the Cambridgeshire Local Assistance Scheme (CLAS).

To find out more about CLAS, and to see if you would qualify for assistance, visit the CLAS website.

Contact Details