Guidelines and advice for Gypsies and Travellers

Gypsies and Travellers visiting South Cambridgeshire are asked to follow our advice as your co-operation may mean you can stay for a short time on suitable land.

A leaflet detailing this information is provided to Gypsies and Travellers and is also summarised below.

Our guide relates to public land managed by Cambridgeshire County Council. This is normally areas you may consider pulling on to that are off the roads in our area.

Public areas, such as recreation grounds, village greens and playing fields is not permitted. 

If you plan to pull on to any area that is privately owned you must speak to the landowner first.

What you need to do

  • Keep groups small. Three caravans will normally be acceptable
  • space yourselves out - the Mobile Homes Act recommends 6 metres between caravans for safety
  • Look after the land you park on and don't cause problems for nearby residents
  • Behave considerately towards other people
  • Do not dump or burn rubbish
  • Put your rubbish in black bags
  • Park vehicles safely and do not block accesses to fields or other areas that may be used for other purposes
  • Keep animals under control and away from public footpaths and rights of way
  • Once the agreed period of occupation has run out the site must be vacated and left as you found it. It must not be reoccupied for three months

What we will do

  • Follow our advice and in most cases Cambridgeshire County Council and ourselves will not pursue an immediate order for the eviction of small groups
  • Waste put in black bags will be collected regularly
  • We will work with Cambridgeshire County Council to look at your welfare and social needs

Moving on

When you leave you must leave the land you were on as you found it. Bag up any rubbish and leave it so it can be collected easily. It must not be reoccupied within three months.

Further information


If you want advice on any health issues, you should be able to see any local GP or dentist, even if you are not registered.

The NHS also has a Gypsy and Traveller Health Team. You can call them on 01353 724220.

You can also get 24-hour help and advice by calling 111.


For school admissions or home school liaison in this area call Cambridgeshire County Council’s Race Equality and Diversity Service on 01223 703882.


If you want to express an interest in living on a Council owned Gypsy and Traveller site or house, contact the Gypsy and Traveller liaison officer on 07702 821402.

Your own site:

Before you think about purchasing a piece of land for a Gypsy and Traveller plot you must contact us first as planning permission will be needed. Call us on 03450 455 215 for more information.

Legal advice:

The Community Law Partnership has a Travellers Advice Team who can provide help and support on general Gypsy and Traveller legal matters. Call 0121 685 8595.


The Ormiston Trust aims to address social exclusion and promote equality by proving an advocacy service to the Travelling community. The advocacy service is free, independent and confidential.

Was this web page helpful?

Feedback form

Your feedback
Your details