Sustainable Design and Construction Consultation SPD
Greater Cambridge Sustainable Design and Construction Supplementary Planning Document (SPD)
What is the draft SPD about?
The planned growth for Greater Cambridge provides an exciting opportunity to create sustainable and vibrant new communities that contribute to meeting national targets set out in the Climate Change Act. The adopted 2018 Cambridge and South Cambridgeshire Local Plans contains a suite of policies which will help to ensure that new development in the area reduces its environmental impact – minimising carbon emissions, flood risk, pollution and pressure on resources such as water and helping to protect and enhance biodiversity. In order to ensure that these policies are implemented as effectively as possible, guidance is required to ensure that the correct information is submitted alongside planning applications, demonstrating how policy requirements will be met.
The Draft Greater Cambridge Sustainable Design and Construction SPD has been prepared to provide additional technical guidance on the implementation of these policies, setting out the information that should be submitted with planning applications to demonstrate how schemes meet the Councils requirements. In providing such guidance, the SPD will ensure that new development contributes to meeting the challenges posed by our changing climate including:
- Contributing to carbon reduction targets and reducing fuel poverty;
- Ensuring that new development is adaptable to our changing climate;
- Ensuring that new development makes efficient use of resources;
- Ensuring that new development contributes to the health and wellbeing of new and existing residents.
The focus of the document is on providing guidance on existing adopted policies. The Councils aspirations for net zero carbon will be developed as part of work on the Emerging Greater Cambridge Local Plan.
Once adopted, the Greater Cambridge Sustainable Design and Construction SPD will become a significant material consideration in determining any planning applications.
About the consultation
Have your say
- Using the online consultation system
- By completing the consultation response form: which is available to download as a Word document to complete electronically or as a PDF to print and complete, and then either emailing or posting it to us at:
- Planning Policy, Cambridge City Council, PO Box 700, Cambridge, CB1 0JH
- Planning Policy, South Cambridgeshire Hall, Cambourne Business Park, Cambourne, Cambridge, CB23 6EA
Any comments submitted may also be accompanied by a request to be notified of the adoption of the Greater Cambridge Sustainable Design and Construction SPD.
The draft Greater Cambridge Sustainable Design and Construction SPD is being consulted upon along with the following accompanying documents:
- Sustainability Appraisal Screening Report
- Habitats Regulations Assessment Screening Report
- Cambridge Equalities Impact Assessment
- South Cambridgeshire Equalities Impact Assessment
In accordance with Regulation 12 of the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012, the Council is required to prepare and make available a Consultation Statement providing a record of consultation undertaken during the production stage of the SPD, prior to formal public consultation.
The draft SPD and these supporting documents will be available for inspection during the consultation period at the following locations:
- South Cambridgeshire Hall, Cambourne Business Park, Cambourne, Cambridge, CB23 6EA;
- At the Cambridge City Council’s Customer Service Centre at Mandela House, 4 Regent Street, Cambridge, CB2 1BY from 9am-5.15pm Monday to Friday.
Was this web page helpful?