Compliments, complaints and suggestions

Putting service first

If you 'phone us we will:

  • resolve your enquiry as quickly as possible
  • provide voicemail if the person you need is unavailable
  • answer your 'phone message within 3 working days

If you write to us we will reply to your letter or email within 10 working days.

If we write to you we will:

  • write in plain language
  • arrange for translation, large type, braille or audio tapes upon request

If we visit you we will:

  • carry identification that you can check with a phone call to our contact service on 01954 713 000
  • arrive at the time we say we will, or give you as much notice as possible if we have to change the time

If we get it wrong we will:

  • apologise if we have made a mistake or failed to meet our standards;
  • acknowledge your written complaint within 3 working days
  • reply in full to your complaint within 10 working days

We welcome all feedback, whether it’s a compliment, complaint or just a comment, we would like to hear from you. 

If you would like to offer some feedback you can do so in the following ways: 

  • by filling in our simple and quick online contact us form:

Online contact us form

  • by telephone on 01954 713 000 (Monday to Friday 8am to 5:30pm) 
  • by visiting us in person (Monday to Friday 8am to 5:30pm) 

Staff recognition scheme

The Going the Extra Mile (GEM) awards recognise outstanding achievement for effort above and beyond normal job responsibilities by employees and teams who have made a significant positive difference to their customers. The emphasis of the recognition scheme is on customer service and service improvement and includes both external and internal customers of the Council.

The scheme promotes and supports a culture where new ideas are shared and good practice and innovation is encouraged in line with the Council's values of customer service, mutual respect, commitment to improving services and trust.

We host two award ceremonies a year, one in May to celebrate everyone nominated for the Spring GEM awards, and one in September, to celebrate everyone nominated for the Autumn GEM awards. You can nominate colleagues at any time of year, and your nomination will automatically be considered as part of the next judging panel. 

How to complain

Complain about a planning decision or application

View the Greater Cambridge Shared Planning service complaints guidance on where to send your comments. 

Report a service issue

If your issue is not listed above, please complete our online complaints form. To report a complaint, you must have a My South Cambs account. This allows you and us to track the progress of your complaint. 

You will need to tell us what your complaint is about and how this has affected you. You will also need to tell us why you are not happy with us.

What will happen in Stage 1?  

  • We will acknowledge receipt of your complaint within 3 working days. 
  • Your complaint will be passed to the appropriate manager and you can expect a reply within 10 working days. 
  • If your complaint needs further investigation and cannot be responded to fully within 10 working days you will be informed of the expected response time. 
  • If you are unhappy with the response to your complaint you can request to escalate it to stage two. 
  • If you remain dissatisfied with the response to your complaint you can complain directly to the Local Government Ombudsman

Stage 1

We hope to resolve your initial complaint at the first stage of the process. The service manager from the relevant area will handle the investigation and work hard to resolve the issue promptly.

Stage 2

If you are not happy with the outcome of your complaint, then you can request that the complaint be passed to the Head of Service. In this case, you will receive a response within 20 working days of your request being received.

If your complaint is a Housing complaint at any stage during your complaint you can ask for a designated persons assistance to help resolve your complaint with the Housing Service. They can try to assist you in resolving the complaint or they can refer the complaint straight to the Housing Ombudsman.

Stage 3

If you are still dissatisfied with the outcome, then you can complain directly to the Local Government Ombudsman, or the Housing Ombudsman for Housing related complaints. The ombudsman investigates complaints made regarding injustices which arise following poor administration by local authorities.

Read the complaints policy.

Contact Details

Was this web page helpful?

Feedback form

Your feedback
Do you require feedback from a member of the team?
Your details