Housing Privacy Notice

Last updated: 3 October 2018

This privacy notice provides you with information about what we do with your personal data (information that is about you and identifies you).

We have recently updated our Privacy Notice to include changes to address the new standards introduced by the European data protection law, known as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

Below sets out how we collect, store and handle your personal information and what your information rights are.

What we mean by personal information is any information that can be collected via a paper or online form, by telephone, email, CCTV or by a member of our staff.

The Data Controller is: South Cambridgeshire District Council, South Cambridgeshire Hall, Cambourne Business Park, Cambourne, Cambridge CB23 6EA.  The Data Protection Officer is the 3C’s Shared Services, Information Governance Manager and they can be contacted through the Information Management Team, 3C ICT, South Cambridgeshire Hall, Cambourne Business Park, Cambourne, Cambridge, CB23 6EA, by email to   infogov@3csharedservices.org  and by telephone on 01954 713318 or 01480 388073.

3C Shared Services is a strategic partnership between Cambridge City Council, Huntingdonshire District Council and South Cambridgeshire District Council

What information we collect and why

We collect and process your information to provide a housing service to you, this will include relevant internal departments as and when required, as well as, other organisations that may provide you with support or assistance, for example: Sanctuary, Citizens Advice Bureau, King Street Housing, Shire Homes Lettings, Emmaus.   This information is held in paper form and as electronic data in Council systems relevant to Housing Services.

We have a legal duty under the Housing Act 1996 to ensure any application for housing is assessed appropriately and this includes holding information about you and undertaking enquiries to establish, for example, your identity, medical needs, income or benefit checks and checks for fraud.  We also have a duty to work with other Council and public authorities as regards this housing responsibility.  The information required is set out in the registration form that you are required to complete, along with your communication preferences.  If you have any questions about this, please ask a member of the Housing Advice and Options Team.

Who has access to this information?

The Housing Advice and Options Team will manage this information and ensure relevant departments, for example, finance, benefits etc. is informed of your details as required.  Your consent will be requested to share any information to services that do not fall within our legal obligations, but may be of interest or of use to you. 

In addition, as a public body we also have statutory obligations to work with our partners across the public and private sector, including police, social care and healthcare. This includes the sharing of information for the protection of vulnerable individuals, child protection and the management of risk.  We will always try to do this with your knowledge and agreement, however, very rarely, this may not be possible, but will always be done for the benefit of the individual concerned.

Aside from our legal obligations, including attempts to prevent homelessness, we do not send your data to any external party without your agreement.

Understanding the impact of Homelessness Programmes and the Homeless Reduction Act 2017 – Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government

If you have made a homeless application, the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) want to learn more about the help provided to people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness, to help improve services.

MHCLG want to use the information you provide about how you have become homeless (or threatened with homelessness), your housing history and the sort of things that you need help and support with.

MHCLG also wants to look at how you use other public services and benefits you receive.  Your personal details (such as your name) will be needed for this, but the researchers will not know whose information they are looking at.

Any information provided to MHCLG will not be used by them to affect the services or benefits that you receive now or in the future or used to identify fraud.  Your information will be kept safe and confidential, and handled with care and in accordance with the law.

How long is my information kept?

The retention periods followed by the Council for all its records are those set out in Local Government Association Guidance.  In general, most housing records are held for 6 years after the file is closed, for example, after the end of a tenancy the file will be closed and kept for a minimum of 6 years, some files are held for longer, for example, 12 – 15 years if there are legal matters involved.  Please ask if you would like more information.

Your rights

You have the right to have incorrect information corrected. Please let the Housing Advice and Options team know of any changes to your details, especially your contact details, as it is your responsibility to ensure they are correct. You can contact is via email or by phoning 03450 450051.

You can change your communication options and/or opt out of communications with external support services at any time. To change your options please contact the team, as above.  Please be aware that if you choose to limit the contact other agencies can have with you, this may impact on your ability to receive relevant additional support.

You have the right to have a copy of what information is held about you: this is called a Subject Access Request (SAR).  We hope that any queries you may have can be dealt with informally with the team, and that it is clear what is held about you and why in our forms and information. 

If you would like to make a formal SAR, please email the Information Governance Team or write to Information Governance Team, 3C ICT, South Cambridgeshire Hall, Cambourne Business Park, Cambourne, Cambridge, CB23 6EA.

If you have any queries or concerns please contact the Housing Advice and Options Team directly in the first instance. Alternatively you can contact the Data Protection Officer, details as above, or make a complaint via our complaints process. Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner who oversees Data Protection and Freedom of Information, information about what they do and how to contact them can be found on their website.

Was this web page helpful?

Feedback form

Your feedback

Would you like feedback from a member of the team?

Do you require feedback from a member of the team?
Your details