Complaints about councillor conduct

Code of Conduct Complaints Process

If you wish to complain about the conduct of a member of South Cambridgeshire District Council or a member of a town or parish council in South Cambridgeshire, then complaints must be submitted on the standard Complaint Form, which can be downloaded from the following link:

The Code of Conduct Complaint Form

The completed form should be sent to:- 

The Monitoring Officer
South Cambridgeshire District Council
South Cambridgeshire Hall
Cambourne Business Park
CB23 6EA 

or via email to In your complaint you should set out in full ( attaching evidence as appropriate) why you think a member has not followed the Councillor Code of Conduct.

Please note the Monitoring Officer can only deal with complaints about the behaviour of a member and cannot receive complaints about things that are not covered by the Members' Code of Conduct, such as maladministration. 

Usually, within 5 working days of receiving a valid Code of Conduct complaint and supporting evidence the Monitoring Officer will:

  • acknowledge receipt of your complaint
  • contact the subject Member with a copy of the complaint and evidence
  • ask the subject Member to provide a written response to the allegation(s) and supporting evidence, usually within 5 working days

The Council will consider the complaint in line with the criteria and process detailed in the complaints procedure and appendices:

Please note that if your complaint relates to a Town or Parish Councillor, then you should make a complaint to the relevant Town or Parish Council in the first instance. 

The Council’s Civic Affairs Committee has oversight of complaints regarding councillors and details about this committee.

Advice from the Ombudsman

Visit the Local Government Ombudsman website for advice about making a complaint.

Independent Advice

Was this web page helpful?

The form contains errors