Your tenancy agreement
Your tenancy agreement may be written or verbal.
Verbal agreements are as legally binding as written ones.
A tenancy agreement normally contains:
- Information on the amount of rent
- how long the tenancy lasts for
- the rights and obligations you and your landlord have
Read the tenancy agreement carefully before signing it.
Check the type of tenancy or licence;
- Who has to do repairs
- who is responsible for bills
- what happens if you want to leave
Get advice if you are unsure about anything in your tenancy agreement.
It is important that you keep to all the terms of the tenancy agreement.
Your landlord could take steps to evict you on the grounds that you have broken one or more of these terms.