High hedges

High hedges

If you have concerns about or are having an issue with the height of a neighbour's hedge, you should initially try to resolve the problem with them informally before we can become involved.

Before we can accept a complaint, you must be able to demonstrate that you have made every attempt to resolve the problem through mediation.

More information is outlined in the Government's resolving neighbour disputes guidelines.

What hedges are covered?

Hedges that are covered by the High Hedges legislation:

  • Be wholly or predominantly evergreen or semi-evergreen.
  • consist of a line of two or more trees or shrubs
  • be at least 2m in height from natural ground level at the point from which the hedge is growing.
  • form a barrier to light or access.
  • adversely affect your enjoyment of your property by virtue of its height.

How do I make a complaint?

If you haven't been able to settle your hedge dispute informally, you can ask us to consider your complaint if the hedge:

  • is a line of 2 or more evergreen or semi-evergreen trees/shrubs
  • is over 2 metres high
  • acts as a barrier to light or access
  • adversely affects your reasonable enjoyment of your home due to its height

We charge £450 to consider high hedge complaints. Payment is taken via the online form using a debit or credit card.

Make a high hedges complaint online

High hedges complaint form guidance notes

What happens once a complaint is made?

We will visit the site to take hedge measurements and other details. If we decide that action should be taken, we will send a formal 'Remedial Notice' to the hedge owner outlining what they need to do and by when.

Both you and the hedge owner have the right to appeal our decision.

Appealing the decision

For information about the circumstances in which an appeal against the Council's decision can be made and who can appeal please visit the Planning Inspectorate website.