Listed Building Consent

When do I need listed building consent?

You will need consent for:

  • demolition of all or part of a listed building (including buildings and structures in the curtilage)
  • alterations (including internal works) that affect the character of the building
  • extensions
  • repairs that involve replacing important parts of the building's fabric, or using different materials (such as replacing a slate roof with tiles)
  • When a building is listed, it is an offence to carry out works to the building that affect its architectural or historic interest without the approval of Planning Services.
  • You could be liable to prosecution, and be made to rectify any changes you have made. The maximum penalty could include imprisonment and unlimited fines.

There is not one simple answer for when you need listed building consent and it is recommended that advice is sought prior to the submission of an application. 

Planning Permission

In some cases, you will need to apply for both planning permission and listed building consent. You can speak to our duty planning officer to find out if the works will require planning permission.

Applying for Listed Building Consent

You can apply for listed building consent via the Planning Portal website. The form can be completed electronically and returned to, or completed by hand and posted to South Cambridgeshire Hall, Cambourne Business Park, Cambourne, Cambridge, CB23 6EA.

There are a number of documents that you will need to submit for your application to be validated, including a heritage statement. Please find a list of the required documents.

If you have any issues with applying for Listed Building Consent, please contact our planning technical support team on 0345 045 0500 or

Can I carry out emergency works to a listed building?

Emergency works can be carried out to a listed building without prior consent providing you can prove the following:

  • That the works were urgently necessary in the interest of safety or health or for the preservation of the building
  • It was not practical to secure public safety or health, or preserve the building, by works of repair or temporary support or shelter
  • That only the minimum necessary intervention was carried out
  • That notice in writing justifying in detail the work was given to the council as soon as reasonably practicable

If you find yourself in a situation where you believe such works are necessary, you should contact the Historic Buildings team as soon as possible, preferably before starting works.

Was this web page helpful?