Historic Environmental Services
Our main services:
- Providing advice and information to owners, agents, the public and others
- advising Development Control on planning applications affecting historic buildings and areas
- giving guidance on the heritage information required with applications
- advising on housing growth and other changes which could affect historic buildings and areas
- taking action to ensure that historic buildings are preserved
- supporting enhancement projects and other improvements
- managing historic guardianship sites and closed churchyards
- producing policy and guidance such as Conservation Area Appraisals and Supplementary Planning Documents
- recognising success through the Built Heritage Award Scheme
- celebrating and promoting South Cambridgeshire's historic villages and buildings
For projects involving archaeology, advice should be sought from the Cambridgeshire County Council Historic Environment Team.
Services provided by Historic England:
Historic England works in partnership with central government departments, local authorities, voluntary bodies and the private sector to:
- Conserve and enhance the historic environment
- Broaden public access to the heritage
- Increase people's understanding of the past
Historic England is particularly involved with Grade I (Grade 1) and II* (Grade 2-star) listed buildings and major schemes affecting conservation areas, and offer a pre-application advisory service for relevant buildings.
Major applications involving Grade II (Grade 2) listed buildings may also meet the requirements for Historic England advice.
We are responsible for dealing with planning, listed building and conservation area consent applications, however, and should normally be the first point of contact.
Was this web page helpful?