You may need planning permission to carry out works if you live in a Conservation Area.
Check if your property is in a Conservation Area using the planning search map.
Conservation Areas are defined as areas of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance. If your property is within a Conservation Area you may need Planning Permission for some works which would otherwise not need permission. This may include demolition of buildings and boundary walls, and alterations or additions such as side extensions and satellite dishes.
Maps of the Conservation Areas are included in the Adopted Proposals Map which is split into areas and villages.
Conservation Area Appraisals
Conservation Area Appraisals describe the character and significance of Conservation Areas and give recommendations for their conservation and enhancement.
Twenty-two appraisals have been adopted. The appraisals are in different formats according to their adoption period: 1999-2000, 2005-2008, 2011, and 2018. There is a programme in place for updating them and preparing new appraisals.
- Baits Bite Lock - adopted 08.08.06
- Duxford Airfield - adopted 24.05.07
- Fen Ditton - adopted 09.03.06
- Foxton - adopted 20.03.18
- Fulbourn Village and Hospital- adopted 16.01.08
- Gamlingay - adopted 08.03.2000
- Grantchester - adopted 10.03.1999
- Great Shelford - adopted 12.09.07
- Horningsea - adopted 09.03.06
- Knapwell - adopted 12.07.2000
- Longstanton - adopted 22.09.05
- Little Gransden - adopted 09.03.06
- Oakington - adopted 22.09.05
- Over - adopted 08.09.1999
- Papworth Everard - adopted 08.07.11
- Rampton - adopted 27.10.05
- Sawston - adopted 12.09.07
- Swavesey - adopted 08.06.06
- Teversham - adopted 08.06.06
- Waterbeach - adopted 08.09.1999
- Westwick - adopted 22.09.05
- Willingham - adopted 08.09.1999
All of our appraisals are available for inspection at our offices in Cambourne. Copies have been sent local Parish Councils and are available in local libraries.
Please email us for more information or to discuss a specific appraisal.
Supporting key documents:
- Development Affecting Conservation Areas Supplementary Planning Document
- Conservation Areas Guide
- Guidance on the Heritage Information to be Submitted with Applications
- Works to or affecting the setting of Listed Buildings
District Design Guide:
Was this web page helpful?