Conservation Areas

Conservation Areas

You may need planning permission to carry out works if you live in a Conservation Area.

If you have any inquiries regarding Historic Environment, please call 03450 450 500 or email us on

Conservation Areas are defined as 'areas of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance'.

If your property is within a Conservation Area you may need Planning Permission for some works which would otherwise not need permission. This may include demolition of buildings and boundary walls, and alterations or additions such as side extensions and satellite dishes.

Trees in conservation areas 
have protection even if they don't have a Tree preservation orders (TPO's).

Please seek advice from the Duty Planner.

Check if your property is in a Conservation Area using the planning search map. 

The Conservation Areas Schedule details which parishes have Conservation Areas and gives some basic information about them. We have 85 Conservation Areas in South Cambridgeshire.
Maps of some of the Conservation Areas are included in the Adopted Proposals Map which is split into areas and villages.


Conservation Area Appraisals describe the character and significance of Conservation Areas and give recommendations for their conservation and enhancement. Fifteen have been completed to date.
There is a programme for producing Appraisals for the District's Conservation Areas. Appraisals take a substantial amount of resources and time, so progress is gradual and the programme will take a number of years to complete. 
Parishes may want to consider whether they could sponsor an Appraisal.


  • All of our appraisals are available for inspection at our offices in Cambourne
    Copies have been sent local Parish Councils and are available in local libraries
  • Please email for more information or to discuss a specific appraisal.

Supporting key documents

District Design Guide:

Was this web page helpful?