Working on Conservation Areas
You may need planning permission to carry out works if you live in a Conservation Area.
Conservation Areas are defined as areas of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance.
If your property is within a Conservation Area you may need Planning Permission for some works which would otherwise not need permission. This may include demolition of buildings and boundary walls, and alterations or additions such as side extensions and satellite dishes.
Trees in conservation areas have protection even if they don't have a Tree preservation orders (TPO's). Check if your property is in a Conservation Area using the planning search map.
Please seek advice from the Duty Planner.
Maps of some of the Conservation Areas are included in the Adopted Proposals Map which is split into areas and villages.
Conservation Area Appraisals describe the character and significance of Conservation Areas and give recommendations for their conservation and enhancement. Fifteen have been completed to date.
There is a programme for producing Appraisals for the District's Conservation Areas. Appraisals take a substantial amount of resources and time, so progress is gradual and the programme will take a number of years to complete.
Parishes may want to consider whether they could sponsor an Appraisal.
- Baits Bite Lock - adopted 08.08.06
- Duxford Airfield - adopted 24.05.07
- Fen Ditton - adopted 09.03.06
- Foxton - adopted 20.03.18
- Fulbourn - adopted 16.01.08
- Gt Shelford - adopted 12.09.07
- Horningsea - adopted 09.03.06
- Longstanton - adopted 22.09.05
- Lt Gransden - adopted 09.03.06
- Oakington - adopted 22.09.05
- Papworth Everard - adopted 08.07.11
- Rampton - adopted 27.10.05
- Sawston - adopted 12.09.07
- Swavesey - adopted 08.06.06
- Teversham - adopted 08.06.06
- Westwick - adopted 22.09.05
All of our appraisals are available for inspection at our offices in Cambourne
Copies have been sent local Parish Councils and are available in local libraries.
Please email us for more information or to discuss a specific appraisal.
Supporting key documents:
- Development Affecting Conservation Areas Supplementary Planning Document
- Conservation Areas Guide
- Guidance on the Heritage Information to be Submitted with Applications
District Design Guide:
Was this web page helpful?