Using the design enabling service
Design review often saves money and time by identifying and ironing out design issues and thereby speeding up the planning process.
It supports and encourages good design and innovative proposals. It also gives Local Planning Authorities, developers and their design teams confidence that they have had the best possible independent advice on design quality in addition to the design advice from the Council's design specialists.
We invite developers, planning agents and designers to submit their development proposals that fall within the following criteria, ideally at pre-application stage, to our Design Enabling Panel (DEP) for an appraisal. Our DEP consists of over 30 independent designers from award-winning practices from across Cambridgeshire and London and other parts of the UK with expertise in architecture, urban design, landscape architecture, town planning, conservation and public art.
Please contact DEP Manager Bonnie Kwok firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like your scheme to be considered and to be reviewed by the DEP.
Charges per meeting
- £600 + VAT (£720)
Development proposals referred to the Design Enabling Panel (DEP) will generally meet the below criteria.
Development proposals which are significant because of their size or the uses they contain.
- medium to large-scaled developments (20 to 100+ units) outside major growth sites (which will normally be assessed by the Cambridgeshire Quality Panel)
- large buildings or groups of buildings such as schools, religious buildings, museums, industrial units, hospitals, shopping and leisure facilities, and office/commercial buildings
- major changes in the public realm affecting village High Streets and important open spaces such as village greens
Proposals which are significant because of their location.
- proposals which may affect important views to Listed Buildings, Conservation Areas, Scheduled Ancient Monuments and the Cambridge Green Belt
- proposals that are sited in such a way that may give rise to exceptional effect on their locality. For example: a relatively modest proposal can be of strategic importance if it is situated at an important street junction, in a square, in a Conservation Area or in exposed locations.
Proposals with an importance greater than their size, use or location would suggest.
- proposals which are likely to establish the planning, form or architectural quality for future large scale development of redevelopment
- proposals which are out of the ordinary in their context or setting because of their scale, materials or detailing
- proposals which are particularly relevant to the quality of everyday life and contain design features which, if repeated, would offer substantial benefits for society
Our Design Enabling Panel will not review schemes that have been presented to other design review panels like the Shape East Design Review Panel and the Cambridgeshire Quality Panel.
Our Design Enabling Panel can appraise schemes that fall outside the referral criteria at the discretion of the Shared Director of Planning and Economic Development.
We are currently running our Design Enabling Panel (DEP) design review meetings online via Microsoft Teams. Below are the confirmed DEP meeting dates for 2021. We may be able to introduce additional dates to fit in with your project plan. Please email DEP manager email@example.com if you have any questions regarding our design review service.
2021 Design Enabling Panel dates:
- 14 January 2021
- 25 February 2021
- 25 March 2021
- 22 April 2021
- 3 June 2021
- 15 July 2020
- 26 August 2021
- 7 October 2021
- 18 November 2021
- 16 December 2021
Was this web page helpful?