Chance to comment on new town proposals
A six-week public consultation has begun into plans for the second half of a proposed new town north of Waterbeach.
Developers RLW Estates, who are working on plans for the eastern side of the site, have submitted an outline planning application to South Cambridgeshire District Council.
The application covers land between the former Waterbeach airfield and barracks to the west, and the ‘Fen Line’ railway line which links Cambridge to Ely to the east. A separate planning application covering the western part of the site, closest to the A10, has already been submitted by different developers, Urban and Civic.
The proposals from RLW Estates include:
- Up to 4,500 new homes
- Two primary schools, a secondary school and sixth form college
- Shops and employment space, such as offices and space for light industrial, storage and distribution use
- Community and leisure facilities
- Parks, play areas, allotments, community orchard, playing fields, multi-use games areas and all-weather pitches
- Internal roads
- Bus, pedestrian and cycle routes / facilities
- An expansion of a re-located Waterbeach railway station (a separate planning application to re-locate the existing Waterbeach station onto the site was submitted by RLW Estates earlier this year)
- Associated drainage and other utilities, such as water, sewage, gas, electricity and telecommunications
- Groundworks, landscaping and highway works
The planning application covers part of the land that is proposed to be allocated as the site for a new town in South Cambridgeshire’s emerging Local Plan. Proposed modifications to this Local Plan were the subject of a public consultation earlier this year, and responses to that consultation are now being analysed by a Government Planning Inspector.
A Supplementary Planning Document, which will give more detail on how the new town should be planned and delivered, is being put together by South Cambridgeshire District Council officers following consultation with the local community.
Deputy Leader of South Cambridgeshire District Council with responsibility for strategic planning, Cllr Aidan Van de Weyer, said: “This is a significant application that forms the second half of the initial proposals for a new town north of Waterbeach. It’s vital that we hear what residents and businesses in the area think of the proposals. We know there are key issues such as transport and the A10 impact to understand, so I’m urging local people to have their say. We’ve already carried out work with local parishes to map out a vision for a look and feel for a new town in this area. One of our key aims is to ensure any new development is respectful of the local area so that the village of Waterbeach retains its identity, and the new community has its own.”
Visit the planning section of our website and use the reference number S/2075/18/OL to view the plans and have your say.
To help explain the proposals and give people a chance to talk to a planning officer if they have any queries, the Council will hold three planning drop-in sessions at the following dates and times:
- Thursday 21 June, 6:15pm to 7pm at the start of the Waterbeach Community Forum, which will be held at Waterbeach Primary School, High St, Waterbeach, Cambridge CB25 9JU
- Wednesday 27 June, 2:30pm to 8pm at St John’s Church Hall, Station Road, Waterbeach, CB25 9HL
- Saturday 30 June, 10am to 2pm at St John’s Church Hall, Station Road, Waterbeach, CB25 9HL
The public consultation runs until Wednesday 25 July.