You must contact all the utility companies that provide services to your new home.
When you're moving in to your new property, you must contact all the companies that provide services to your accommodation to register that you live at the property.
Registering with utility companies:
- You must tell them the date you're moving in or have moved in.
- you'll probably need to give them meter readings from the electric and gas meters, unless they are on a key.
- you should also contact the local water company to have this service put in your name.
Registering with council tax
Your landlord should inform our council tax team that you are moving into their property. However, you should also let them know.
You will then:
- Be sent a bill showing what council tax you owe
- advised how it should be paid.
If you have a low income you may be able to apply for council tax benefit.
You can apply for this on the same form as housing benefit.
Furniture and household goods
If you need to purchase furniture and household goods and are on a low income, then you may wish to contact Cambridge Reuse who can provide low cost, second hand items.
For more information, please visit their website
If you believe your household is experiencing exceptional hardship or financial pressure, it may also be possible to receive assistance from Cambridgeshire Local Assistance Scheme (CLAS).
For more information about CLAS and to find out if you would qualify, please visit the website.