Proposed changes to the South Cambridgeshire District Council Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy (2nd consultation)
The 2nd consultation runs from Friday 20 December 2019 to Friday 31 January 2020.
We have reviewed our Taxi Policy and the proposed changes identified will apply to all Private Hire and Hackney Carriage Drivers, Vehicle Proprietors and Operators holding or wishing to obtain a licence from this authority.
Our aim is to involve as many people as possible in consultations to ensure that all views are taken on board. We therefore extensively consulted on the recently proposed changes to this taxi licensing policy and we have been really pleased by the level of engagement from both the trade and members of the public. However, further representations were received the evening before Councillors were due to make a final decision and we feel that it is only right that we take the time to consult on these views and revised legal opinion in addition to comments already received during the original consultation period.
Please be assured that any previous comments will be taken into account and it will not be necessary to re-submit your previous response. However, all comments and feedback are encouraged and welcomed.
View the proposed Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy and draft taxi handbook.
The deadline for receiving views is no later than 23:59 on Friday 31 January 2020.
You can also comment:
- by email
- or in writing to:Licensing Department, South Cambridgeshire District Council, Cambourne Business Park, Cambourne, Cambridgeshire CB23 6EA
Some of the Main Changes
- With effect from 1 October 2021: all first-time Hackney Carriage and Private Hire vehicle licence applications to be Zero or Ultra-Low Emission.
- With effect from October 2028: all Hackney Carriage and Private Hire vehicle licence applications to be Zero or Ultra-Low Emission.
- A new vehicle licence will not be granted in respect of a vehicle unless it is less than 4 years old.
- A vehicle licence will not be renewed for a petrol or diesel vehicle unless the vehicle is less than 9 years old and complies with at least the Euro 5 emission standards limiting CO, NOX and particle matter emissions.
- A vehicle licence will not be renewed for an Ultra-low emissions vehicle unless the vehicle is less than 12 years old.
- A vehicle licence will not be renewed for a zero emissions vehicle unless the vehicle is less than 15 years old.
Vehicle Testing – Certificate of Compliance
- All vehicles will be required to be tested twice a year. The Certificate of Compliance will be issued for six months and a second test must be carried out 6 months minus 1 day from the last test.
- All Hackney Carriage and Private Hire vehicles must be fitted with a Council approved CCTV system at application no later than 31st March 2021
- Private Hire vehicles must have affixed on the rear external passenger doors in a prominent location, Council issued door signage.
Internal Vehicle Notices
- "Council issued" Internal Vehicle Notices must be displayed in a prominent position so that it can be seen by all passengers.
Private Hire vehicle exemptions
- Private hire vehicles exemptions will be issued for work which is "executive" in nature. This means that the vehicle is used primarily to provide transport under a written contract to a company or person, or by the type of clients who for security or personal safety reasons would not want the vehicle to be identifiable
- New driver licences will be issued for initial one-year probation period
- New driver applications will be required to provide two referees
- New operator licenses will be issued for initial one-year probation period.
- New operator licence applications will be required to provide two referees.
- Any dashcams installed in a licensed vehicle must be outward facing only.
- Internal facing dashcams will not be permitted in the licensed vehicles.
Was this web page helpful?