Temporary Event Notice

Temporary Event Notices (TENs) may be submitted to permit the following licensable activities on a temporary basis, whether they are within a premise or outside in open space:

  • Regulated entertainment: plays, films, recorded music, indoor sporting events, live music, boxing or wrestling entertainment and performance of dance
  • Late night refreshment: provision of hot food and/or hot drinks between 11pm and 5am
  • Sale by retail of alcohol
  • Supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club to a member or to the order of a member

It is an offence to carry out licensable activities on or from any premises without the appropriate authorisations in place. A person guilty of an offence of this type is liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to a fine not exceeding £20,000, or to both.

Types of Temporary Event Notices

  • Standard Temporary Event Notices are those notices which are served at least 10 clear working days before the event (not including the day that the notice is served or the day of the event). 
  • Late Temporary Event Notices have been introduced for event organisers to serve less notice than standard TENs in exceptional circumstances by providing between 5 and 9 clear working days notice (not including the day that the notice is served or the day of the event). 

Guidance and Restrictions

  • Premises users must be over the age of 18
  • The maximum number of TENs that you can apply for per calendar year is 5 standard TENs (of which 2 may be late TENs)
  • If you are a Personal Licence holder the maximum number of standard TENs is 50 (of which 10 may be late TENs)
  • TENs must not involve more than 499 people at any one time and last no more than 168 hours
  • There should also be at least 24 hours between notice periods

There are also restrictions on the number of TENs per premises:

  • There can be only a maximum of 12 TENs a year for any premises, subject to an overall limit of no more than 21 days in total. Please note that part of a day equates to a full day when calculating total number of days.
  • There must be at least a 24-hour gap between TENs, in other words TENs cannot be operated back to back.


You are advised that by serving a TEN or a late TEN you run the risk that your event may not be able to take place.

The system of permitted temporary activities gives police and Environmental Health the opportunity to consider whether they should object to a TEN on the basis of any of the licensing objectives

  • The Prevention of Crime and Disorder
  • Public Safety
  • The Prevention of Public Nuisance
  • The Protection of Children from Harm

Where a standard TEN was given, the licensing authority must consider the objection at a hearing.

At the hearing, the police, Environmental Health and the premises user may make representations to the licensing authority. Following the hearing, the licensing authority may decide to impose conditions which already apply to an existing premises licence or club premises certificate at the venue.

There is no scope for hearings in respect of late TENs and if objections are raised by the police or Environmental Health in relation to a late TEN, the notice will be invalid and the event must not go ahead. 

Fines and penalties

You could be prosecuted and fined if you make any false statements in your application, or face prosecution if you breach the terms of the notice.

If you don’t have a TEN and carry out an activity that you should have a licence for (or allow your premises to be used for one), you can be fined, sent to prison for up to 6 months, or both.

Apply online for a temporary event notice

Alternatively, you can fill in the application form [DOC, 0.2MB], and return it to our Licensing department with a payment of £21. 

A copy of your paper application must be submitted to the police and environmental health (addresses below) If you are applying online copies will automatically be sent to the Health and Environmental Manager and the Chief of Police for you. 

Scroll for more

Chief of Police address

Health and Environmental Manager address

The Chief of Police (licensing)                   

Cambridgeshire Constabulary

Parkside Police station




Corporate Manager Health & Environmental Services

South Cambridgeshire District Council

Cambourne Business Park



CB23 6EA

Why are we asking for your personal information?

We require your personal data to enable us to comply with a legal obligation and enable us to review your application to be provided with the requested licence.
There are laws in place, Licensing Act 2003, that tell us what information we have to collect and keep. We may automate decisions and will inform you if we have done this as soon as reasonably practicable and provide you with access to our Data Protection Policy.

You hold the following rights with regard to the personal data you provide us:

  • Right to Access – You have the right to access (receive a copy) of your personal data and supplementary information.
  • Right to Rectification – You have the right to have any inaccurate or incomplete personal data rectified
  • Right to Restriction – You have the right to request a restriction of the processing of your personal data in situations where it is inaccurate, unlawful, and no longer needed for the purposes for which it was originally collected, or if a withdrawal of consent has been made.

Sharing your information

We may share your personal data with Local Partner Authorities, Police, Legal, Courts, Internal/External audit, Disclosure and Barring Service, HM Revenue & Customs, Statutory responsible authorities as required. We may process the information you provide to prevent and detect fraud in any of our systems and may supply information to government agencies, credit reference agencies, audit or other external bodies for such purposes. We participate in the Governments National Fraud Initiative.

If any of the information we have about you is incorrect, please tell us, we are reliant on you assisting us to keep your information accurate and up to date.

Retention of your personal information

We only keep your information as long as necessary, for some items this will be dictated by law. You can find out more by looking at the Councils Retention Policy on the website. We do not routinely process any information about you outside the UK. We will not transfer your personal data outside of the EU. South Cambridgeshire District Council is a registered Data Controller with the Information Commissioners Office.

You can find out more about how we handle your data by visiting our Privacy Notice page.

If you have a query regarding your rights please contact the Data Protection Officer who can be contacted by emailing infogov@3csharedservices.org or you can write to us and mark your letter for the attention of the Data Protection Officer.

Alternatively you can call 07864 604221 or 01954 713318. You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) should you believe any part of this statement to be unlawful.


Was this web page helpful?

Feedback form

Your feedback
Your details