Personal Licence

You are not required to have a personal licence to be employed in a pub or other business that sells alcohol. Premises licensed to sell alcohol must have a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS), who holds a personal licence. The one exception is a community premises that has successfully applied to waive the DPS requirement under section 41D of the act. Anyone who does not hold a personal licence must be authorised to sell alcohol by a personal licence holder.

Personal licences allow you to sell alcohol on behalf of any business that has a premises licence or a club premises certificate.

About the licence

The personal licence is designed to ensure that anybody running or managing a business that sells or supplies alcohol will do so in a professional fashion. Once you receive your personal licence, you can act as the designated premises supervisor for any business that sells or supplies alcohol.

Who can apply

In order to apply, you must be aged 18 years or over and hold a relevant licensing qualification (the BIIAB Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders or a similar accredited qualification).

Applying for a Personal Licence

You will need to apply for a licence from your licensing authority. The licensing authority is usually the council where you live.  If you do not know who that is, you can find out by visiting the website.

In order to obtain a personal licence you will need to provide the following:

  1. A completed application form

  2. A completed Disclosure of Convictions form

  3. Two passport sized photographs, one of which has been endorsed as a true likeness by a solicitor or notary, a person of standing in the community or any individual with a professional qualification

  4. Basic disclosure certificate of criminal convictions which is less than one month old.  If the certificate is older than this your application will be rejected or you will have to obtain a new disclosure check.

  5. You will need to undertake an accredited personal licence qualification.  For more details of these qualifications please visit the website.

  6. A completed proof of right to work in the United Kingdom

  7. A fee of £37.

  8. Post to: Licensing Department, South Cambridgeshire District Council, South Cambridgeshire Hall, Cambourne Business Park, Cambourne, Cambridgeshire, CB23 6GN.

If you have any current convictions for any relevant or foreign offences, then we must notify the Chief Officer of Police. If the police make no objections within the statutory 14-day period, we will grant your licence.

The Deregulation Act 2015

The Deregulation Act 2015 came into effect on 1st April 2015.

The requirement to renew personal licences was abolished on the 1st  April 2015.  All licences will therefore carry on indefinitely until such time that they are either surrendered or revoked, even if they were issued before this 1st April 2015.  If you wish to update your licence to one which does not show the expiry date you can request an updated one.

To do so you will need to supply us with:

  • A written request providing your full name and address
  • Your existing licence or an explanation as to why it cannot be returned
  • A £10.50 administration fee which can be paid either by cheque or by telephoning 03450 450063

Change of Address/ Change of Photograph/ Lost Licence

Although there is no requirement to update your photograph we recommend that this is updated every 10 years.

Please inform us if you move, even if your new address is out of the area.

If you have lost or misplaced your licence, please report this to us as soon as possible by writing to us.

An updated licence can be requested.  You will need to supply us with the following:

  • A written request providing your full name and address
  • Your existing licence or an explanation as to why it cannot be returned
  • A £10.50 administration fee which can be paid either by cheque or by telephoning 03450 450063

There will only be a single fee for multiple changes to the licence.

Why are we asking for your personal information?

We require your personal data to enable us to comply with a legal obligation and enable us to review your application to be provided with the requested licence.
There are laws in place, Licensing Act 2003, that tell us what information we have to collect and keep. We may automate decisions and will inform you if we have done this as soon as reasonably practicable and provide you with access to our Data Protection Policy.

You hold the following rights with regard to the personal data you provide us:

  • Right to Access – You have the right to access (receive a copy) of your personal data and supplementary information.
  • Right to Rectification – You have the right to have any inaccurate or incomplete personal data rectified
  • Right to Restriction – You have the right to request a restriction of the processing of your personal data in situations where it is inaccurate, unlawful, and no longer needed for the purposes for which it was originally collected, or if a withdrawal of consent has been made.

Sharing your information

We may share your personal data with Local Partner Authorities, Police, Legal, Courts, Internal/External audit, Disclosure and Barring Service, HM Revenue & Customs, Statutory responsible authorities as required. We may process the information you provide to prevent and detect fraud in any of our systems and may supply information to government agencies, credit reference agencies, audit or other external bodies for such purposes. We participate in the Governments National Fraud Initiative.

If any of the information we have about you is incorrect, please tell us, we are reliant on you assisting us to keep your information accurate and up to date.

Retention of your personal information

We only keep your information as long as necessary, for some items this will be dictated by law. You can find out more by looking at the Councils Retention Policy on the website. We do not routinely process any information about you outside the UK. We will not transfer your personal data outside of the EU. South Cambridgeshire District Council is a registered Data Controller with the Information Commissioners Office.

You can find out more about how we handle your data by visiting our Privacy Notice page.

If you have a query regarding your rights please contact the Data Protection Officer who can be contacted by emailing or you can write to us and mark your letter for the attention of the Data Protection Officer.

Alternatively you can call 07864 604221 or 01954 713318. You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) should you believe any part of this statement to be unlawful.

Related Information

Was this web page helpful?