Licensing Act 2003 FAQ

The provision of any entertainment or entertainment facilities are exempt if, for the purpose of or for purposes incidental to, a religious meeting or service or at a place of public religious worship.

Local Authorities are awaiting a definition of "places of worship". We are adopting the view that church halls are affected.


The other exemptions are:

  • Moving vehicles on the public highway
  • Live television/ radio broadcasts
  • Spontaneous music and singing.

For further details see Part 2 of Schedule 1 of the Bill.

Yes, there will be a requirement for new personal licence holders to take a qualification approved by the Secretary of State. LACORS/LGA (local authority regulators) has a representative attending the Digital, Culture, Media, and Sport (DCMS) working group. The DCMS was set up to examine the structure and content for the new personal licence holders qualification.

Yes, the definition of 'premises' given in clause 188 states that it means "any place and includes a vehicle, vessel or moveable structure". Unlike the current system, outdoor entertainment (or any other licensable activity) can take place on either private or public land and still require a licence.

A personal licence is now valid for an indefinite period and no longer needs to be renewed, however it is the responsibility of the personal licence holder to ensure that the details such as name and address are kept up to date and that the photo still bears a resemblance.

Persons who currently hold a personal licence that has an expiry date can find more information in the Licensing Act 2003 section.

It will need to be reviewed every 5 years. The first must be published before the local authority can carry out any function in respect of individual applications made under the terms of the new Act. Further details are contained in Clause 5 of Bill and Section 4 of the Draft Guidance. LACORS (local authority regulators) are proposing to issue a framework or guidance document to assist local authorities in writing and consulting on their licensing policies.

Why are we asking for your personal information?

We require your personal data to enable us to comply with a legal obligation and enable us to review your application to be provided with the requested licence.
There are laws in place, Licensing Act 2003, that tell us what information we have to collect and keep. We may automate decisions and will inform you if we have done this as soon as reasonably practicable and provide you with access to our Data Protection Policy.

You hold the following rights with regard to the personal data you provide us:

  • Right to Access – You have the right to access (receive a copy) of your personal data and supplementary information.
  • Right to Rectification – You have the right to have any inaccurate or incomplete personal data rectified
  • Right to Restriction – You have the right to request a restriction of the processing of your personal data in situations where it is inaccurate, unlawful, and no longer needed for the purposes for which it was originally collected, or if a withdrawal of consent has been made.

Sharing your information

We may share your personal data with Local Partner Authorities, Police, Legal, Courts, Internal/External audit, Disclosure and Barring Service, HM Revenue & Customs, Statutory responsible authorities as required. We may process the information you provide to prevent and detect fraud in any of our systems and may supply information to government agencies, credit reference agencies, audit or other external bodies for such purposes. We participate in the Governments National Fraud Initiative.

If any of the information we have about you is incorrect, please tell us, we are reliant on you assisting us to keep your information accurate and up to date.

Retention of your personal information

We only keep your information as long as necessary, for some items this will be dictated by law. You can find out more by looking at the Councils Retention Policy on the website. We do not routinely process any information about you outside the UK. We will not transfer your personal data outside of the EU. South Cambridgeshire District Council is a registered Data Controller with the Information Commissioners Office.

You can find out more about how we handle your data by visiting our Privacy Notice page.

If you have a query regarding your rights please contact the Data Protection Officer who can be contacted by emailing or you can write to us and mark your letter for the attention of the Data Protection Officer.

Alternatively you can call 07864 604221 or 01954 713318. You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) should you believe any part of this statement to be unlawful.

Licensable activities, according to Clause 1(1), and Schedules 1 and 2 of the Bill are:

  • The sale of alcohol by retail
  • The supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club to, or to the order of, a member of a club
  • The provision of regulated entertainment
  • The provision of late night refreshment.

The four licensing objectives that local authorities are under a duty to promote are:

  1. The prevention of crime and disorder
  2. Public safety
  3. The protection of children from harm
  4. The prevention of public nuisance

A personal licence holder can only apply 50 times in a year and only 5 times for all other people.

Only 12 temporary event notices can be given in respect to a particular premise in one calendar year.

The temporary event cannot exceed 168 hours and a maximum of 499 people can be in attendance at any one time.

A personal licence is a portable licence granted by the local (licensing) authority of residence to an individual enabling the right to sell alcohol at any premise licensed for the sale of alcohol.

A temporary event notice is a licence enabling the temporary sale of alcohol or the provision of regulated entertainment or late night refreshment at premises not authorised by premises licence or club premises certificate.

The operating schedule is a mandatory requirement of a new Premises Licence application (it is not expected this will be required where existing premises are claiming grandfather rights). It must be submitted with the application and include details such as descriptive information about the premises, a statement of the proposed relevant licensable activities, details of any risks associated with the location, size, opening hours, controls on capacity, soundproofing, door supervisors etc. Further information can be found in Clause 17 of the Bill and paragraphs 6.22 - 6.25 of the draft Guidance. The Secretary of State may prescribe, by statutory instrument, other matters that must be included in an operating schedule.

Late night refreshment, and the exemptions, are defined in Schedule 2 of the Bill. It is worth remembering that because the definition of premises includes vehicles, a burger van which has regular pitches and trades after 11pm will require a premises licence for each of these.

Subject to qualifying conditions and exemptions the definitions contained in Schedule 1, state that regulated entertainment is:

  • A performance of a play
  • An exhibition of a film
  • An indoor sporting event
  • A boxing or wrestling entertainment (indoors or outdoors)
  • A performance of live music
  • Any playing of recorded music (not incidental, that is, background music)
  • A performance of a dance
  • Entertainment of similar description to that falling within the performance of live music, the playing of recorded music and the performance of dance.

The fee for a personal licence is £37.

Via the LGA's website or the DCMS website (Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport).


Was this web page helpful?