Gambling and lottery licences

Gambling policy consultation

Please see our gambling policy consultation page to download the policy and make comment, we welcome your views and feedback.

Gambling Act 2005 

In accordance with the requirements of the Gambling Act 2005 South Cambridgeshire District Council has produced a Gambling Policy.

Please also refer to the Gambling Policy Guidance Notes.

Gaming Machines

What is the licence for?

Premises where machines constructed or adapted for playing a game of chance by means of inserting money or tokens require a Licence.

How long does the licence last?

The licence is renewable annually.

What is the charge for this licence?

Gaming machine permit on premises with liquor licence - £50.00

Club machine permit - Initial grant £200.00, Annual fee £50.00

Club gaming permit - Initial grant £200.00, Annual fee £50.00

How to apply

Please discuss your requirements with a member of the licensing team, the regulations concerning the licensing of gaming machines is complex and each individual circumstance will have to be considered.

Please note there is a new Act pending for game machine licences.

Lottery Licence

What is the licence for?

Before holding a lottery where members of the public can purchase a chance, a society should first be registered under the Gambling Act 2005 with the Local Authority in which the office or Head office of the Society is situated.

How long does the licence last?

The licence is valid for one year and an annual renewal fee is charged.

What is the charge for this licence?

There is a fee for a small lottery licence. 

i) Grant - £40.00

ii) Renewal - £20.00

Do I need to submit a return?

A return is required for every lottery which is held under these regulations. Please consult the Lottery guidance for more information. The Lottery return form must be submitted within three months of the event.

How to apply

After reading the Lottery guidance notes carefully, you must fill out the Lottery application form and return the completed form with payment to the Licensing team.

Was this web page helpful?

The form contains errors