Licensing Act 2003

Licensing Act 2018 consultation

Public Registers for Licensing Act 2003

Public Licences register is available online.

Statement Of Licensing Policy - Licensing Act 2003

The Licensing Act 2003 requires each licensing authority to produce and publish a policy with regard to how it will carry out its functions under the Act.

South Cambridgeshire District Council acts as the licensing authority for the district.

Our Licensing Policy [DOC, 0.3MB] explains how the Council, acting as the Licensing Authority, intends to promote the Licensing Objectives in the district. We must act in a way that promotes the Licensing Objectives.

These objectives are:

  • Prevention of Public Nuisance
  • Prevention of Crime and Disorder
  • Public Safety
  • Protecting Children from Harm

The purpose of the policy is:

  • To inform applicants of the way in which the Licensing Authority will make licensing decisions and how licensed premises are likely to be permitted to operate

to inform residents and businesses of the way in which the Licensing Authority will make licensing decisions and how their needs and concerns will be dealt with

It is important to be aware that the licensing policy only becomes relevant to the consideration of an application if the Licensing Authority receives representations from objectors or responsible authorities.

Where no representations are received, applications are only subject to the provisions of the Act and statutory guidance, and have to be granted in the terms sought by the applicant, with the imposition of relevant mandatory conditions and conditions set out in the operating schedule.

The Statement of Licensing Policy was adopted by Council on 23 November 2013 with effect from 7 January 2014. This policy has now been reviewed and re-published on 7 January 2014.

It must be reviewed every five years.

About the Act

Download the full Licensing Act Guidance Notes 2011 and Current List of Responsible Authorities

Frequently Asked Questions

For further information contact the Licensing service: 03450 450 063; 8am - 5.30pm, Monday - Friday (except Bank Holidays)

Premises licence & club certificates, under Licensing Act 2003

A Premises Licence or Club Premises Certificate is required to carry out licensable activities, or in the case of members clubs, club qualifying activities from the premises.

Visit our Premises and club licensing page.

Personal Licences

The Deregulation Act 2015 came into effect on 1st April 2015. The requirement to renew personal licences has now been abolished and will therefore carry on indefinitely until such time that they are either surrendered or revoked.

Newly issued licences will no longer have the expiry date included. You can still use your existing personal licence even though it appears to have expired as this date no longer applies, however should you wish to update your licence to remove this date you can apply for a newly issued licence.

To do so you will need to supply us with:

  • A written request providing your full name and address
  • Your existing licence or an explanation as to why it cannot be returned
  • A £10.50 administration fee which can be paid either by cheque or by telephoning 03450 450 063

Although there is no requirement to update your photo we recommend that this is updated every 10 years which will also incur the £10.50 administration fee.
There will only be a single fee for multiple changes to the licence.

See our Licensing FAQs webpage for more information.

Application for a Personal Licence and Disclosure of Convictions

Renewals procedure 2015 onwards

Personal licences presently expire after 10 years and although the Government has indicated it will abolish the need to renew these licences, this will not happen until Spring 2015. As such, anyone with a personal licence due for expiry will need to apply to renew the licence otherwise it will lapse. We will keep licence holders informed of any developments via this web page.
Please note, we will not be sending out application forms; this is the responsibility of the licence holder.

There is no fee to renew your licence.

However if you have changed your address and you require a new licence or badge, please note there is a £10.50 administration fee.

Please be aware that if your licence has lapsed and if you need it for your employment, you will have no option but to re-apply as a new applicant.

To renew your licence you must complete the renewal application form and send it to us along with a scanned version or a photocopy of your current licence. Please do not send the original licence. It would be preferable if you could submit the completed application by email to us at:

We will then send you an acknowledgement which you should keep to show your employer or the Police that you have complied with the renewal procedure. There will be no other documentation issued by this licensing section.

Alternatively, applications can be posted to:
Resources Team
Health and Environmental Services and Licensing
South Cambridgeshire Hall
Cambourne Business Park
Cambridge, CB23 6EA

Government issued guidance for Personal Licence holders

The Government has issued new arrangements for personal licences due for renewal in 2015.
Please refer to this guidance for further information.

The charge for a personal licence is £37.00

Temporary Events

Application for a Temporary Event Notice under Licensing Act 2003

If you wish to hold an ad-hoc event in England or Wales, you must give a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) to your local licensing authority no later than ten working days before the event *.

A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) allows for licensable activities to take place at a venue that either has no licence or where a licence does not permit a certain activity.

One venue can have up to 12 TENs per calendar year with up to 499 people attending. Persons with a Personal Licence may apply for up to 50 TENs per calendar year and persons without a licence may apply for 5 per calendar year.

A TEN is required for:

  • All retail sale of alcohol
  • 'Regulated Entertainment' to the public or with a view to profit - this does not include stand-up comedy

Late Night Refreshment (the supply of hot food or drink between 23:00 and 05:00)
If you wish to hold an ad-hoc event in England or Wales and it is less than 10 working days to the event, you may be able to submit a late TEN.

You must give the late temporary event notice (TEN) to your local licensing authority no later than five working days before the event.

Apply online for a Temporary Event Notice. If the premises where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities applications must be made to each.

Alternatively you can download and complete a hard copy of the Temporary Event Notice.

Unless you submit an electronic application you must also give a copy of the notice to both the Police and to Environmental Health at the Council no later than ten working days before the event.

You must be 18 years or older to give a TEN and can give a maximum of two Late TENs per year. If you are a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of 10 Late TENs per year.

Your event must:

  • Involve no more than 499 people at any one time
  • last no more than 168 hours, with
  • a minimum of 24 hours between events

Applications can either be posted to:
Resources Team
Health & Environmental Services and Licensing
South Cambridgeshire Hall
Cambourne Business Park
Cambridge, CB23 6EA

or sent via email to:

Was this web page helpful?

Feedback form

Your feedback
Your details