South Cambridgeshire Logo
My South Cambs:
Sign in or register
Black icon - house

Guidelines and advice for Gypsies and Travellers

Guidelines and advice for Gypsies and Travellers

Gypsies and Travellers visiting South Cambridgeshire are asked to follow our advice. Your co-operation may mean you can stay for a short time on suitable land. A leaflet detailing this information is provided to Gypsies and Travellers and is also summarised below.

Our guide is for public land managed by Cambridgeshire County Council. This is normally areas you may consider pulling on to that are off the roads in South Cambridgeshire. Public areas, such as recreation grounds, village greens and playing fields are not permitted. 

What you should do

If you plan to pull on to any area that is privately owned, you must speak to the landowner first. You will need to:

  • keep groups small. Three caravans will normally be acceptable
  • space yourselves out - the Mobile Homes Act recommends 6 metres between caravans for safety
  • look after the land you park on and don't cause problems for nearby residents
  • behave considerately towards others2 people putting rubbish in a black bin bag
  • not dump or burn rubbish
  • put your rubbish in black bags
  • park vehicles safely and do not block accesses to fields or other areas that may be used for other purposes
  • keep animals under control and away from public footpaths and rights of way
  • once the agreed period of occupation has run out the site must be vacated and left as you found it. It must not be reoccupied for three months

What we will do

As long as the guidance above is followed, in most cases both we Cambridgeshire County Council will not pursue an immediate order for the eviction of small groups.

Waste that is put in black bags will be collected regularly, and we will work with Cambridgeshire County Council to look at your welfare and social needs

Moving on

When you leave, you must leave the land you were on as you found it. Bag up any rubbish and leave it so it can be collected easily. Afterwards, the area must not be reoccupied within three months.

Further information


A medical worker making a phone call

If you want advice on any health issues, you should be able to see any local GP or dentist, even if you are not registered.

Public Health England have a Gypsy and Traveller Health Team. You can call them on 020 7654 8000

There is also a Traveller Health Team run by Cambridgeshire County Council. You can get direct contact with the team by calling the Gypsy and Traveller Liaisons Officer on 07702 821402.

You can also get 24-hour help and advice by calling 111.


If you want to express an interest in living on a Council owned Gypsy and Traveller site or house, contact the Gypsy and Traveller liaison officer on 07702 821402.

Your own site

Before you think about purchasing a piece of land for a Gypsy and Traveller plot you must contact us first as planning permission will be needed. Call us on 01954 713 000 for more information.

Legal advice

A man helping a woman with paperwork

The Community Law Partnership has a Traveller's Advice Team who can provide help and support on general Gypsy and Traveller legal matters. Call 0121 685 8595.

Contact Details