Repairs and maintenance to your home

Repairs and maintenance to your home


As a landlord, we carry out certain repair and maintenance work to keep your home in a safe condition and good working order. 

Need to report a repair? A man talking over the phone

Call our free repairs hotline on 08000851313.

When you report a repair please have the following information ready:

  • Your home address
  • Your name
  • Details of when a representative can visit your home to repair it
  • Contact details (telephone number and email address)
  • full details of the repair being requested


Intentional damage

Where damage has been caused with intent (such as vandalism or burglary) make sure to obtain a Police Incident Number before reporting the damage, it will be needed when reporting the repair. 

Accidental damage

In instances of accidental damage (for example, a cracked wash hand basin or broken toilet pan) it will be your responsibility to repair or renew the damaged items. 

Repair response times

Scroll for more
Repair type Completion time
Emergency repairs Within 24 hours
Non-urgent repair requests Within 35 days
Other repair requests Dependent on the request


An emergency is one or more of the following:

  • A total loss of electric power or water supply 
  • An uncontrollable water leak 
  • A blocked, leaking or non-flushing toilet (when there is only one in your home) 
  • A water mains leak 
  • Insecure ground floor windows, doors or locks 


Call our free repairs hotline on 08000851313 to report a repair.

Repair responsibilities repairing a sink

We will carry out certain repairs and maintenance to keep your home in a safe condition and good working order.  

However, you also hold responsibilities for your homes condition. 

You are responsible for: 

  • keeping your home in a reasonable and clean condition 
  • keeping the inside of your home in a good decorative state 

The repairs that you are responsible for generally include: 

  • your own bathroom and kitchen floor coverings
  • reglazing within your home (unless a crime number is given)
  • chipped baths, sinks, and wash hand basins
  • minor hairline plaster cracks
  • infestation (such as rodents, wasps and other insects)
  • deliberate damage to your front door (we will repair if it has been reported to the police and there is a crime reference number)
  • deliberate damage to bath panels
  • replacement of bath or sink plugs
  • washing lines (unless communal)
  • any domestic appliance
  • loose internal door handles
  • blown fuses
  • your own built-in wardrobes
  • toilet seats inclusive of all fittings (except for anyone aged 75 and older or anyone with a disability)
  • your shower
  • shaver lights and battery-operated smoke alarms
  • all works associated with ‘lock outs’ - getting access, replacing locks and keys
  • aerials
  • bleeding air from radiators
  • draught excluders for doors and windows
  • garden maintenance, including trees and hedges (unless there is a risk to health and safety)
  • additional security
  • clearing blocked kitchen sinks, hand basins and baths
  • all repairs associated with your own appliances
  • all repairs caused by misuse, neglect, or damage
  • maintenance and repair of any additional fittings that you have installed
  • door bells (unless they are part of a communal door entry system)
  • internal doors - it is very important that you keep to current safety standards and do not remove internal doors
  • light bulbs, fluorescent tubes, and starters
  • curtain rails
  • fences, unless they form an external boundary onto a road or footpath
  • your own garden sheds and patios
  • your own fireplace surround

We are responsible for:  A handyman checking that a wall-mounted heater is working OK

  • The structure and exterior of your home (such as the walls roof, and windows) 
  • Electrical wiring, gas and water pipes, and installations we have provided 
  • Heating and water-heating equipment we have provided 
  • Shared areas around your property 

Rechargeable repairs

Any repairs undertaken that are your responsibility, whether it be from damage, misuse, or agreed tenant responsibility works, will raise a recharge invoice to recover the costs. 

The Right to Repair

This is a government scheme that lists 20 common repairs (called qualifying repairs) and sets a prescribed period (number of working days) in which they must be completed.  

Scroll for more
Qualifying repair type Response time (working days)
Total loss of electric power 1
Partial loss of electric power 3
Unsafe power or lighting socket or electrical fitting 1
Total loss of water supply
Partial loss of water supply 
Total or partial loss of gas supply 
Blocked flue to open fire or boiler 
Heating or hot water not working (from 31 October to 1 May) 
Heating or hot water not working (from 1 May to 31 October) 
Blocked/leaking foul drain, soil stack or toilet  1
Toilet not flushing (if your home has only 1 toilet)
Blocked sink, bath, or basin
Tap cannot be turned 
Leak from a water pipe, tank, or cistern
Leaking roof 
Insecure external window, door, or lock 
Loose or detached banister or hand rail 
Rotten timber flooring or stair tread 
 Door entry phone not working 7
Mechanical extractor fan not working 7


If the repair is not completed within the response time, you can ask us to get a second contractor and you may also be entitled to compensation in certain circumstances. 

If an inspection is needed, the repair is allowed extra time. If the inspection identifies the need for major works, this is no longer covered under the right to repair and you will be given more details for the target time for completion.  

Qualifying repairs must also be our responsibility, which means that it must not have been caused through misuse. If it is found to be your responsibility, you will be recharged for the repair. 

The contact centre will determine the priority of repairs at the point of reporting.  

Priority will be given to: 

  • vulnerable tenants, such as anyone over 75 years of age 
  • disabled people 
  • people with young children (0-5 years old) 

Improvements you arrange yourself

How do I request permission?

You need to fill in and return the Tenants Permission for Alterations Form. [DOC] 

Please post your form to: 

Housing Management Services 
Affordable Homes 
South Cambridgeshire District Council 
South Cambridgeshire Hall 
Cambourne Business Park 
Cambridge CB23 6EA 

You will need to include a set of plans or diagrams in your application showing your home both before and after the proposed changes have been carried out. 

What happens next?

After receiving your request, your rent account will be checked for any arrears. If you are in arrears, permission will not be granted. You can re-apply once your rent account is clear of arrears.  

We will reply within 10 working days of receiving your letter to inform you of the decision. 

After being granted permission, you must notify your housing services officer on completion of works (so that arrangements can be made to inspect the work that has been carried out). 

Any improvements you carry out will not increase the price of your home, if you later decide to buy your home through right to buy. 

If you have carried out any improvements with our permission and decide to move, you may be able to claim compensation under the compensation for improvements scheme. 

If you want to move and have altered the layout of the property or made any additions without our permission, you may have to remove them and return the property to its original condition.  
You may also be recharged for any further work we are required to do as a result. 

Please check if planning permission is required first before carrying out any works.

Was this web page helpful?

Feedback form

Your feedback
Your details