Housing Complaints and Compliments

Housing Complaints and Compliments


A compliment is defined as a customer statement of positive recognition or praise for a service or member of staff.

If you would like to pay us a compliment, you can contact us by:

Compliment us using our online form

  • Writing to us at: South Cambridgeshire Hall, Cambourne Business Park, Cambourne, Cambridge. CB23 6EA
  • Calling us on 03450 450 051


Whilst we try our best to deliver first-class customer service at all times, we recognise that sometimes we may not perform as well as we could.

If this is the case, please let us know so we can put it right and learn from our mistakes.

You should complain if:

  • You are unhappy about how your enquiry was dealt with
  • you are unhappy with how an officer has treated you
  • you are unhappy with our standard of service

How to complain?

Please include as much detail as you feel is necessary and complete our online complaints form.

You can also complain by:

  • writing an email to feedback@scambs.gov.uk
  • Calling the contact centre on 03450 450 500
  • Writing a letter to South Cambridgeshire Hall, Cambourne Business Park, Cambourne, Cambridge, CB23 6EA
  • We will acknowledge receipt of your complaint within 3 working days
  • Your complaint will be passed to the appropriate service manager who will contact you within 10 working days
  • If the investigation into your complaint will not be completed within 10 working days, then you will be contacted and informed of the progress and expected timescales
  • If we have made a mistake, you will receive an apology
  • If we were at fault, you will be told what measures are being taken to put things right

For more information, please download our Handling of Customer Complaints Comments and Compliments  [PDF, 0.2MB]policy document.

Stage 1

We hope to resolve your initial complaint at the first stage of the process. The service manager from the relevant area will handle the investigation and work hard to resolve the issue promptly.

Unfortunately, there are some things that we cannot change. We may be legally restricted or the issue may involve other organisations. In these cases, we will explain the situation to you and give you an alternative point of contact.

Stage 2

If you are unhappy with the outcome of your complaint then you can request that the complaint be passed to the Head of Service. In this case, you will receive a response within twenty working days of your request being received.

Designated Persons

At any stage during your complaint you can ask for a designated persons assistance to help resolve your complaint with the Housing Service. They can try to assist you in resolving the complaint or they can refer the complaint straight to the Housing Ombudsman.

The introduction of designated persons is intended to involve local politicians and local people in resolving local housing issues.

The designated persons are defined as:

  • an MP
  • local councillor for the district in which the complainant’s home is located
  • a designated tenant panel

Stage 3

If you are still dissatisfied with the outcome then you can complain directly to the Housing Ombudsman. The Ombudsman investigates complaints made regarding injustices which arise following poor administration by local authorities.

The Housing Ombudsman Service can be contacted as follows:

Housing Ombudsman Service
Exchange Tower
Harbour Exchange Square
E14 9GE

Phone: 0300 111 3000 (lines are open Monday to Friday from 9:15am to 5:15pm, except public holidays)

Email: info@housing-ombudsman.org.uk

Please note: Complaints to the Ombudsman do not have to be referred by a designated person, but if they are not there must be at least 8 weeks from the end of our complaint process before the Ombudsman can consider the case.

We have reviewed how our housing service handles complaints, in response to the Housing Ombudsman's Complaint Handling Code. Our self-assessment [PDF, 0.2MB] includes a list of actions that we plan to take to build upon the current service

Was this web page helpful?

Feedback form

Your feedback
Your details