About your rent

About your rent


When is my rent due?

  • Your rent can be paid on the Monday of each week
  • Payments can be set up to be paid in two weeks or monthly installments if you would prefer
  • It is important that you pay your rent in advance to avoid falling into rent arrears

How can I pay my rent?

You can pay your rent using the following methods:

Online payment

Pay online by using our online payment forms. You will need your Debit Card and account details to hand.

Pay online now


Pay by Direct Debit 

You can ask to have Direct Debit payments set up so that rent will be collected automatically from your bank account on the 1st or 15th of each month.

Call us on 03450 455 216 and ask to be sent a 'Direct Debit instruction' to get started.


Pay over phone

You can pay your rent over the phone on our 24-hour payment line, using your Debit or Credit Card.

Simply make sure you have your Debit or Credit card and rent reference number, then call 03450 455218.

Pay at the Post Office or PayPoint Outlet

You can pay at any Post Office or PayPoint outlet using a plastic payment card. 

Don't have a payment card? Call us on 03450 455 216 and we can have one sent out to you. Find your nearest branch using the Post Office branch locator.

Other ways to pay your rent

If you wish to pay by Standing Order, Telephone or Internet Banking, our bank details are as follows:

Sort Code: 20-17-68
Account Number: 30466441
Account Name: Rent BACS Account
Bank: Barclays

  • You must remember to quote your tenancy reference number every time you pay. 
  • Also you should allow 3 to 4 days for the payment to reach your account.

Please contact us as soon as there is a problem.

Help and advice for paying Rent

It is important that you pay your rent to uphold your tenancy agreement. Breaking the terms of your tenancy agreement puts you at risk to having legal action taken against you.

We understand that sometimes people do experience difficulties that can affect their finances. If for any reason you are finding it difficult to pay your rent, we can work with you to find answers to what is impacting your finances and prevent any action being taken against you.The sooner we know, the sooner we can take action and the more we can do to help, so don't delay and contact us for help and advice

Below you can find details for advice we offer, and other organizations who can help you.

South Cambs Advice

Telephone: 03450 455 216

Housing Benefit webpages
Telephone: 03450 450 061

Housing Advice webpages 
Telephone: 01954 713055

Free & Independent Advice

Cambridge Citizen's Advice Bureau 
Telephone: 01223 22260

National Debtline 
Telephone: 0808 808 4000

Telephone: 0800 917 7823

The Money Advice Service
Telephone: 0800 138 7777

Housing Benefit and Universal Credit

If you are on a low income you may be able to get help with your rent by claiming Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, even if your are in full time employment. 

"Should I be claiming Housing Benefit or Universal Credit?"

Most people will need to claim through Universal Credit. You will need to claim Housing Benefit if you are any of the following:

  • in a couple and one of you has not reached Pension Credit age
  • disabled and have a sever disability premium included in your benefit award
  • living in temporary accommodation
  • living in accommodation where your landlord provides support - this does not include sheltered schemes owned by the Council.

Do you need help completing the form? We can arrange for someone to help you fill it out.

It is important that you make any Benefits claim as soon as possible, delaying could cause you to lose your benefit

Housing Benefit will usually be paid from the Monday after your form is received. 

If you submit your form late you can ask for backdated Housing Benefit to be considered, although this would only happen if you could provide 'good cause' for not submitting your claim sooner.

To find out more, or request an application form, please contact the benefits team on 03450 450 061

Rent Arrears

If you fall behind with your rent, you will be sent a letter asking you to bring your payments up to date. If you are having difficulty paying rent, are in rent arrears, or in danger of falling in to it, contact us as soon as you can. We can give you advice and support to get your rent back under control. It is important that rent arrears are prevented or answered quickly to prevent tarnishing your reputation as a tenant, and potentially having legal action will be taken against you. 

We may begin the first stage of legal action upon reaching four weeks in arrears.

"What if I recieve a Court Summons?"

If you receive a Court Summons, you will be given a date and time when you must appear before the Judge at the County Court. If your rent arrears are cleared before then, you do not need to attend.

The District Judge will decide if you can stay in the property, and how much you should pay. The Judge can choose to:

  • Adjourn the hearing
    • This means that the Judge does not make any Order, and you are given a chance to clear your arrears first. 
    • If you do not pay, the Council can reapply to the Court to make an Order.
  • Make a Possession Order
    • This means that you must move out of the property and give the keys back to the Council, within a set period. 
    • You will still need to pay back the money you owe. 
    • If you do not move out and return the keys to the property, you will be served with an Eviction Warrant.
  • Make a suspended Possession Order
    • This means that you can stay living in the property as long as you pay your rent, plus an amount towards your arrears. 
    • If you do not make payments as agreed in this Order without a further hearing an eviction warrant will be issued.

You should contact the Rent Recovery Officer on (01954) 713327 to make any offer of payment.

"What if I receive an Eviction Warrant?"

You will be given a date and time for when the Court Bailiff will attend the property and the locks will be changed. If you pay the arrears in full before this date, the eviction will be cancelled. 

If you are unable to do this, you will need to go to the County Court and ask for a form to submit an application to suspend the eviction. 

You will be given a further hearing where you can ask the District Judge to suspend the eviction. 

You will need to advise the Court why you have not kept to the terms of the previous Court Order. The District Judge may stop the eviction if you agree to make payments to your arrears. They could also dismiss your application and the order that the eviction should go ahead.

Was this web page helpful?