Brexit information for residents

EU, EEA or Swiss citizens

If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family are now able to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. There is no charge associated with making an application. 

If your application is successful, you’ll get either settled or pre-settled status. You will not be asked to choose which status you’re applying for. The status you get depends on how long you have been living in the UK when you apply. Your rights will be different depending on which status you get.

With both settled and pre-settled status you will be able to:

  • work in the UK
  • use the NHS
  • enrol in education or continue studying
  • access public funds such as benefits and pensions, if you’re eligible for them
  • travel in and out of the UK

The government have provided details of the Settlement Scheme including what you’ll need to apply and how to apply. They have also made guidance on the settlement scheme available online in all 26 EU languages.

A partnership pack is available with additional resources to aid understanding of the settlement scheme.

You will need to register under the scheme by 30 June 2021. 

Help and information about your EU Settlement Scheme application is available by telephone from the EU Settlement Resolution Centre.

The following Libraries in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough will be able to offer assisted digital help to do this if you need it:

You can also use the Government’s Assisted Digital Service which can provide:

  • telephone support from a skilled adviser who will help you complete your application form online
  • face to face support at a centre to access and complete the online form
  • face to face support at home to complete the form

To keep up-to-date on any developments, you can register for email alerts from the Home Office.

EFTA Citizens rights

The Government has reached agreements that Swiss citizens and citizens of Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein will also be able to use the Settlement Scheme. These agreements are subject to ratification.

Irish citizens’ rights

Irish citizens do not need to apply under the Settlement scheme. The Government has published guidance on rights of Irish citizens under the Common Travel Area, which are not dependent on UK’s future relationship with the EU. There is also Guidance to UK and Irish Citizens on their rights under the Common Travel Area arrangements

No-deal Brexit

The government has published a policy paper outlining how it plans to protect EU and EFTA citizens' rights in the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal including:

  • The UK will continue to run the EU Settlement Scheme for those resident in the UK by exit day in a ‘no deal’ scenario. For EU citizens and their families living in the UK up to exit day the basis for qualifying for status under the scheme will remain the same as proposed in a ‘deal’ scenario and will be focused on residence in the UK.
  • Any EU citizen living in the UK by exit day will have until 31 December 2020 to apply for status under the scheme.
  • Until 31 Dec 2020, EU citizens will continue to be able to rely on their passport (as a British citizen may) or national identity card if they are asked to evidence their right to reside in the UK when, for example, applying for a job, as they do currently.

Was this web page helpful?

The form contains errors